How To Debate And Change Somebody's Mind
Politics

There's No Point In Challenging Someone's Thoughts Until They Turn Into Actions With Real Consequences

Really think... Is fighting going to change something right now?

83
Mani Dasoju

This is a controversial topic because I said so. That's a thought. That thought may not affect you or change you. I don't mean for it to do so, either. But, in the world we live in, there are a lot of thoughts. Clearly, since humans think a lot. And they say a lot too. But, as humans, we get offended quite easily and that causes so many issues to happen in our history and society.

I think (this is my opinion) that we really should stop fighting each other based on a difference of thinking, a difference in worldviews. I personally think that different worldviews are good because not everyone can understand this large world all at once. We need to think differently. Fighting each other, as in to attempt to alter another person with force, is useless in the grand scheme of things, only when the other person does not act upon those thoughts. Here are a few examples to help get this idea across.

For example, if I said "all lives matter," a large community of America would be easily offended because this phrase is meant to belittle the pain that they are dealing with on a daily basis. But let's say I believed in that phrase, for the sake of the example, but I didn't do anything more than say it. I simply believed in that idea. But if I went on Twitter and posted for it, or walked in a march to present it, or reached out to a senator to endorse it, then I have taken an action.

Now, the black community that would be offended by that idea should not take action against me for believing this idea. Why? Because I haven't done anything. Once I do something, then it's valid to counteract my action in defense of whatever consequences my actions have done to your community. Then it becomes reasonable to fight.

For example, if there was a mother who thought that vaccines were not good for children, so be it. That mother, an adult, has full rights to think about whatever she wants. I, as another adult, disagree, but I can't just oppose her because she hasn't done anything that causes harm based on her thoughts. When the child, her child, is affected by the lack of a vaccination, then it becomes valid for me to fight her and her ideas because the child that she is responsible for is now in harm's way. She is hurting someone, and my fight for my belief would help to prevent injury to that child. Now, the clashing of ideas is valid.

Before that, she could think whatever and me fighting her would just be provoking an unearned conflict with no purpose other than to change someone's mind in this free-thinking society. Now, it is to defend the next generation from sickness due to the idea and her following through with that idea.

For example, the President of the United States of America is Donald Trump. Personally, I do not like the guy. A lot of people around me do not like the guy. Let's say that when he was still a businessman (kinda still is), he thought that Mexican immigrants should be forcibly kicked out of the state regardless of the status of their dependents. That was a thought. But he was a businessman and didn't act upon it. Rather, he was more concerned with his next venture or next investment because he wants the money.

But now he's the President and that thought remains in his mind. He now speaks about it and acts upon it. Before, any argument to change his mind would be just to provoke him. It would be there just because we didn't like that thought. But now, his thought has real consequences. It changes policies that govern the land, it affects families in America, and it causes many children to suffer from psychological damage, too. Now, this is something we need to fight because his thought has taken action.

Of course, there is always room for counterarguments, even against me. I know only so much and I'm just thinking. I could be wrong too, maybe fighting prematurely would prevent possible actions from ever taking place. That's a maybe, and there's only one way to know what is certain: by doing it. I just wanted to get people thinking about when is the right time to fight someone, verbally or physically. Really think... Is fighting going to change something right now? Patience, it's all about when you fight and not how you fight the battle.