Fifteen Song Covers You Need To Hear

Fifteen Song Covers You Need To Hear

These song covers are so good they might be even better than the original songs!

54
Fifteen Song Covers You Need To Hear
Amelia Beames

Song covers. Even if you don't seek them out, you've probably heard quite a few on the radio before (the "Feeling Good" covers by Muse and Michael Bublé, the "Crazy" cover by Patsy Cline, the "All Along the Watchtower" cover by Jimi Hendrix, the "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" cover by Cindi Lauper, and many others come to mind). In fact, some covers become more popular than the original songs, and the original artists are forgotten (as is the case with "The First Cut is the Deepest" originally written by Cat Stevens and performed by P.P. Arnold but covered by everyone and their brother-- one of the most popular chart-topping covers done by Sheryl Crow). But even if they don't reach the radio and they don't top charts, they're still a popular feature on YouTube.

They might be better than the original or they might not. But either way, they're not quite the same-- each artist puts their own spin on that melody you've probably heard before. And for all that art, they deserve a listen. Here are a fifteen of my top must-hear covers, chosen for creativity, stellar performance, or both.

1. "Cheap Thrills" by Kina Grannis and Kurt Hugo Schneider

This cover of the hit by Sia blows my mind. They're using a bicycle as a musical instrument. Honestly, like who would think of doing that? But it works! For more of that insane creativity, check out the rest of Kurt Hugo Schneider's YouTube channel (I had a hard time picking one for this list because he has so many amazing covers on there).

2. "Everglow" by Constantino Carrara, Michele Grandinetti, and Vanni Tagliavento

Carrara's piano skills in particular might bring you to tears in this cover of a recent Coldplay hit. The guy know his way around those keys, and his talents are well suited to this touching ballad.

3. "Hallelujah" by Linus Svenning

Because what list of song covers would be complete without "Hallelujah"? We hear this one covered all the time (and yes, I love the Pentatonix version just as much as the next person), but this cover is definitely unique. I don't speak a word of Swedish, and this song still speaks to me. Svenning's voice captures the feeling beyond the realm of language, and that's reason enough to give it a listen.

4. "The Hanging Tree" by Tyler Ward and Alyson Stoner

It's a new twist on the song from The Hunger Games, and it is EPIC.

5. "Wake Me Up" by Jonny May

Yes, I know it has no vocals, but Jonny May's piano magic on this cover of an Avicii hit could not be ignored. I had to include it for the sheer talent involved-- I didn't even know all those sounds could come out of one piano!

6. "Animal" by Chase Holfelder

This Neon Trees cover is just one of many "Major to Minor" covers done by Holfelder, and they're all amazing! You'd never expect how sinister songs like "Animal" or "Kiss the Girl" or "All I Want for Christmas is You" can sound when converted to the minor key.

7. "Stay With Me" by VoicePlay

I love the soulful crooning of Sam Smith's "Stay With Me." But VoicePlay's version is so happy and harmonic, and I can't jamming to that beat. I think it's one of the best things my ears have ever heard.

8. "Street Lights" by Otis Junior

This stripped down version of a Kanye West song is incredibly relaxing. I'm getting vibes of coffee on a rainy day in the city... or something like that. Anyway, it's a beautiful cover.

9. "Peponi" by The Piano Guys and Alex Boye

I've never heard anything quite like this cover of "Paradise" by Coldplay. The Piano Guys are masters at unique covers of songs, and this is no exception. To top off the incredible cover, the music video of it is filmed in a location where a helicopter is needed to bring in the piano. How awesome is that?!

10. "Radioactive" by Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix

Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix are incredible on their own... which just makes this collaboration all the better! This Imagine Dragons cover is beautifully well done. Enchanting voices, enchanting strings, enchanting aesthetic for the video...

11. "Disturbia" by Kina Grannis

This cover of a Rhianna hit pegged the exact vibe to fit the song lyrics. A little bit creepy and a whole lot of perfect.

12. "Zero to Hero" by the Gardiner Sisters

My roommate introduced me to this cover the first week of the semester, and I've had it stuck in my head since then. It's so light and relaxing... and somehow catchy at the same time? I'm not sure how they pulled that off.

13. "Bad Blood" by Postmodern Jukebox

Postmodern Jukebox is just a very impressive musical artist. They do covers of all kinds of songs-- but with their own vintage twist in a variety of styles. They're so unique I can't pick a favorite, but this Taylor Swift cover is a beautiful example of how elegantly and creatively they adapt modern songs to other styles.

14. The "Twenty One Pilots Mashup" by Kurt Hugo Schneider and VoicePlay

It's not technically a cover of one song... it's a mashup cover of several hit songs by Twenty One Pilots. An EXCELLENT cover. Not only is the arrangement incredible, the vocals (that bass, oh my goodness) are spectacular. But what really makes this one is the visuals... they applied such a creative concept and pulled it off perfectly.

15. "Take Me to Church" by Kiesza

In her cover of the hit song by Hozier, Kiesza nails the soul behind the original with just a guitar and her incredible voice. It's by far my personal favorite cover.