10 Moments All Fiction Writers Can Relate To

I've got 99 story lines, but not a single draft.

56

Fiction writers all share a few things in common. Whether they write science fiction, historical, fantasy, or contemporary, all of us know the struggles of wanting to be an author but not being able to get there. We all have amazing story ideas and we love haring them with each other, but first there are some hoops we have to jump through.

1. Pinterest boards

A grand majority of us spend a great deal of time of Pintrest. We have pins upon pins or character images and pictures for scenes and settings. In fact, we spend so much time on there usually we storyboard more than we actually end up writing our stories. People ask us if they can read snippets of them, but we just end up showing them some pictures we thought fit what we want the school they go to to look like.

2. Coming up with a great storyline and finding out it has already been written

Nothing is absolutely worse when you are drafting your story, and one day you run an idea by your friend and they go, "Oh I like that, I just read a book kind of like that." It bursts your creative bubble and leaves you wanting to rip all of your hair out. Here you were thinking you had the most brilliant idea to only find out the idea had not only been already thought of but published. Every writers' nightmare.

3. Knowing how you want your story to end, but not knowing how to get it there

You can see it, the sparks flying and the parades. The perfect ending to your novel... but you have not even started it yet. You have the first two chapters written, and then maybe a scene or two in the middle, and your ending is a work of art, but then there are all of the bridges and character development. How on earth are you supposed to get your character from an innocent, shy girl to a raging BAMF? It can be quite hard when you are trying to create the most iconic piece of fiction of all time.

4. All of the unfinished drafts

Everyone has the folder on their computer or flash drive of story ideas and drafts 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2. They are all of the story ideas you had in high school and started during free period one day, or wrote at three in the morning that one time during school break. They sit there crying for you to finish them, and sometimes you do. But most of the time, they just sit there.

5. Writers' block

Of course, it had to be on the list, but let us be real: who hasn't experienced writers' block? It is the absolute worse. You have all these ideas and no drive to write. Or no ideas and the biggest drive to write. Whatever the case, just try writing. Write just to write, not even to get a story down. It is the best way to break the curse, and sometimes a story idea comes from it.

6. Deciding if you want to name your future children that name or your character

One of my favorite things about writing is looking up the names for my characters. What I hate is stumbling upon a name that I fall in love with and then can't decide if I want to give it to my character or my future children someday. It is an uphill battle because sometimes I will put it in the story and add it to my list of baby names, and tell myself I will cross that road when I get to it.

7. Cliches

Love triangles? Mom dies? Dad dies? A princess and they don't know it? Has powers and they don't know? We have seen them all, and yet as much as we hate them we continue to put them in our stories because everyone loves a good cliche! But cliches also make it harder to separate our story from others, and can lead to us having anxiety attacks over if our book is too similar to the other 500 young adult novels about the young teenage girl who starts a revolution. But it publishes right? And if it is what you like writing, go for it!

8. Creating each characters individual voice

One of the hardest things I run into is creating the voice for each character. Everyone wants the characters to be witty and funny, but not all of them can be. There has to be a different amount of personalities in the story in order for conflicts to arise and teamwork to happen. Two love interests with the same exact voice and personality can just make it confusing on who the main character really wants when she weighs the pros and cons and they end up the exact same.

9. Having three million book ideas at once

Another struggle is having so many ideas at once for so many different novels and not knowing which to start first. The fantasy would publish quicker because that is pretty in right now, but the contemporary would be amazing to draw parallels to your nonexistent love life at the moment. Picking a topic can be hard, but once you do stick with it to avoid some of the other writing blocks mentioned above.

10. Your Google search history

Google search: How to cover up a murder.

Google search: Deadliest pressure points.

Google search: Depression and suicide.

Yeah, a little awkward for that FBI agent sitting behind your camera. We promise, it is just for our own knowledge so there is no inaccuracies in our novels. We promise we are all mentally sane people (well, most of us).

These are only a few, but there are dozens more of relatable moments all writers can sit down and cry about together. Keep at it though, and one day you'll have a bestseller like no other!