5 Driving Safety Tips for College Students

I've never felt more unsafe in a car than when I was in college. There are just so many distractions (buses, people walking, bikers) and so many bad drivers on the road. But it usually takes two bad drivers for accidents to occur, so make sure you're a good driver by using these 5 driving safety tips.

Never Drive Drunk

This should be a visible tip, but it needs to be emphasized for people in college. Even with all the excellent ridesharing resources we have (Uber, Lyft, etc.), so many people still choose to drive drunk. I've seen drunk drivers almost every time I've been out late, and it's scary. There's no excuse to drive drunk. Have either a designated driver for the night or get an Uber or Lyft to take you home. A lot of campuses even have buses running late, so you don't have to spend money. Driving drunk can not only get you arrested, but you may end up in a terrible accident resulting in severe injury or death.

Don't Text While Driving

Texting while driving can be even more dangerous than driving drunk. It's a big reason why car and motorcycle accidents have drastically increased in the last few years. In fact, motorcycle accidents have increased by 50 percent this year, according to the Utah Advocates. Even if you think you're a master multitasker and can drive with your knees while texting, just don't do it. Taking your eyes off the road for even a second can lead to an accident. The text you want to send can wait until you've arrived at your destination or until you're at a red light.

Don't Drive When You're Exhausted

Driving while you're extremely tired is as dangerous as driving drunk. Falling asleep at the wheel is extremely common, especially among college kids who stay up all night studying or partying. If you can barely keep your eyes open, don't get behind the wheel. If you can go back to sleep, then you should. Otherwise, get a friend to drive you or request an Uber.

Always Wear Your Seat Belt

It amazes me when I get in a car with someone who doesn't wear a seat belt. This one safety precaution has saved thousands of lives in car accidents. Even minor accidents can cause serious injury to people who aren't wearing a seat belt in the car. No matter how great of a driver you are, you can't always prevent an accident from happening. Don't leave your life up to chance by not wearing a seat belt.

Be Aware of Other Drivers

Most accidents involve two bad drivers. If you are always aware of your surrounding, including other cars, you can prevent most accidents. Anticipate what other cars may do, so you can quickly react to their poor driving decisions. College drivers can be reckless, and some times it will be up to you to prevent an accident by being a proactive driver.