Fiction On Odyssey: Welcome To Night Vale

But not quite...

9

This is basically the same story but told in drastically different ways. I wrote this as an exercise to show the many different ways you could write something and have it be pretty much the same story.

Narrative

You look around at the small town around you and you realize two things. One, you don't recognize the town in the slightest, and two, the town is in the middle of the desert and your car is nowhere in sight. You have no idea how you got into the town. As you walk down the street the 'people' that you assumed to be the residents turn to you and shout "INTERLOPER" before turning away and going on their merry way. Among the people, you swear you can pick out angels (that definitely don't exist), multiple 5-headed dragons, some ghosts, and a detached hand that looked like it belonged to a middle-aged man. You also spot many normal people hiding in bushes and other places and many others walking around with hooded cloaks hiding their figures. You pass by Big Rico's Pizza. No one does a slice like Big Rico! No one. You hear my voice. Yes, you.

As you come to terms with the fact that I am talking about you, you continue to walk away from Big Rico's. You pass the Dog Park. No, no, there are no dogs in the Dog Park right now, in fact, it is illegal for anyone to enter the Dog Park. No! Don't approach the Hooded Figures! Yes, back away slowly and continue down the street. That's right… You pass a wall with the Community Calendar hung on it. Let's see… Yes, Wednesdays are still canceled. You notice that there are lots of events going on like the Parade of Mysterious Hooded Figures, Dot Day, and the Fried Chicken and Cigarette Fair. You briskly walk toward the end of town and pass by posters for some of our various organizations, like the Joyous Congregation of the Smiling God and the Illuminati as well as a few warning signs put up by the Vague, Yet Menacing, Government Agency.

You suddenly seem very scared. Oh… You're running out of town… Wait! I haven't even- Oh, well… I guess we'll have to start without you.

Welcome to Night Vale.

Litotes

This town is weird.

Welcome to Night Vale.

The Rainbow

You look around at the small violet town around you and you realize that you don't know where you are. As you walk down the indigo street people turn and shout "INTERLOPER" at you before going on their merry way. You pass by Big Rico's Pizza and you hear my blue voice. You pass the green Dog Park before you pass a yellow wall with the Community Calendar hung on it. You briskly walk toward the orange end of town and pass by posters for some of our various organizations as well as a few red warning signs put up by the Vague, Yet Menacing, Government Agency.
Welcome to Night Vale.

Hesitation

I think that you looked around at the… City? Village? Town? Around you and you realized, maybe, two things. The first might've been that you don't recognize the town in the slightest and the second may have been that the town was in the middle of the desert and your car was nowhere in sight, I'm not sure though... You had no idea how you got into the town and I really didn't either... You might've walked down the street and the… people?... I think they turned to you and shouted something like "Interloper." They may have left you alone after that. You pass by Big Rico's Pizza or is that National Guard Station and KFC Combo Store. You heard my voice or was it Kevin's... Yes, you. Or- Wait… No… Maybe?
You might have come to terms with my voice as you walk off. You could have passed the Dog Park. You also could've passed the wall with the Community Calendar hung on it, but I don't know if you did... Did you start to walk toward the end of town then?

I think you suddenly seemed mad? Maybe you were happy… Or scared. Did you run out of town? Wait, no! You skipped! Maybe you ran… I don't remember...
Welcome to Night Vale… I think…

Exclamations

Holy crap! You have absolutely no idea where you are! You just keep walking down the street and look confused every time someone yells "INTERLOPER" at you! Haha! Oh! You have spotted some angels (THAT DON'T EXIST) and some of our other residents! You walk by Big Rico's Pizza! No one does a slice like Big Rico! No one. You hear my voice! Yes, you! Hi!
Oh, good! You're not freaking out about my voice anymore! You pass the Dog Park! There are no dogs in the Dog Park! It's actually illegal to enter! No! Don't approach the Hooded Figures! Thank you for getting out of there! Ooh! That's the Community Calendar. Let's see~ Yup, Wednesdays are still canceled~ You notice that there are lots of events coming up, like the Parade of Mysterious Hooded Figures, Dot Day, and the Fried Chicken and Cigarette Fair! You pass by posters for some of our various organizations, like the Joyous Congregation of the Smiling God and the Illuminati as well as a few warning signs put up by the Vague, Yet Menacing, Government Agency!
Oh! You're running out of town! Wait! I haven't even- Oh, well~ I guess we'll have to start without you!
Welcome to Night Vale!

Parts of Speech

Adjectives: small, two, one, slightest, middle, down, merry, multiple, 5-headed, some, detached, like, middle-aged, many, normal, hooded, big, Rico's, illegal, still, lots, Mysterious, Fried, end, some, various, Joyous, few, warning, Vague, Menacing, suddenly

Adverbs: around, nowhere, no, how, as, well, away, out, also, yes, there, right, now, slowly, briskly, up, Yet, very, not, even

Articles: the, a

Conjunctions: and,

Determiners:

Interjections: oh, Welcome

Nouns: town, desert, car, sight, idea, street, residents, interloper, way, angels, dragons, ghosts, hand, man, bushes, other, others, cloak, figures, pizza, one, slice, Rico, voice, terms, fact, Dog, Park, dogs, wall, Community, Calendar, Wednesdays, events, Parade, Dot, Day, Chicken, Cigarette, Fair, posters, organizations, Congregation, God, Illuminati, signs, Government, Agency, Night, Vale

Prepositions: at, in, of, into, to, before, on, among, with, by, my, about, from, for, toward, without

Pronouns: you, your, that, their, it, I, anyone, us, our,

Verbs: look, realize, things, don't, recognize, was, is, have, got, walk, people, assumed, be, turn, shout, turning, going, swear, can, pick, looked, belonged, spot, hiding, places, walking, pass, does, hear, come, am, talking, continue, are, enter, approach, back, hung, let, see, cancelled, notice, Smiling, put, seem, scared, running, wait, guess, start,

Code

Eua ruuq gxuatj gz znk ysgrr zuct gxuatj eua gtj eua xkgrofk zcu znotmy. 1. Eua jut'z xkiumtofk znk zuct ot znk yromnzkyz gtj 2. Znk zuct cgy ot znk sojjrk ul znk jkykxz gtj euax igx oy tucnkxk ot yomnz. Eua ngbk tu ojkg nuc eua muz otzu znk zuct. Gy eua cgrq juct znk yzxkkz znk, ckrr, 'vkuvrk' zngz eua gyyaskj zu hk znk xkyojktzy zaxt zu eua gtj ynuaz "OTZKXRUVKX" hkluxk zaxtotm gcge gtj muotm ut znkox skxxe cge. Gsutm znk vkuvrk eua yckgx eua igt voiq uaz gtmkry (zngz jklotozkre jut'z kdoyz), sarzovrk 5-nkgjkj jxgmuty, yusk mnuyzy, gtj g jkzginkj ngtj zngz ruuqkj roqk oz hkrutmkj zu g sojjrk gmkj sgt. Eua gryu yvuz sgte tuxsgr vkuvrk nojotm ot haynkj gtj uznkx vrgiky gtj sgte uznkxy cgrqotm gxuatj cozn nuujkj irugqy nojotm znkox lomaxky. Eua vgyy he Hom Xoiu'y Voffg. Tu utk juky g yroik roqk Hom Xoiu! Tu utk. Eua nkgx se buoik. Eky, eua.

Gy eua iusk zu zkxsy cozn znk lgiz zngz O gs zgrqotm ghuaz eua, eua iutzotak zu cgrq gcge lxus Hom Xoiu'y. Eua vgyy znk Jum Vgxq. Tu, tu, znkxk gxk tu jumy ot znk Jum Vgxq xomnz tuc, ot lgiz, oz oy orrkmgr lux gteutk zu ktzkx znk Jum Vgxq. Tu! Jut'z gvvxugin znk Nuujkj Lomaxky! Eky, hgiq gcge yrucre gtj iutzotak juct znk yzxkkz. Zngz'y xomnz… Eua vgyy g cgrr cozn znk Iussatoze Igrktjgx natm ut oz. Rkz'y ykk… Eky, Ckjtkyjgey gxk yzorr igtikrrkj. Eua tuzoik zngz znkxk gxk ruzy ul kbktzy muotm ut roqk znk Vgxgjk ul Seyzkxouay Nuujkj Lomaxky, Juz Jge, gtj znk Lxokj Inoiqkt gtj Iomgxkzzk Lgox. Eua hxoyqre cgrq zucgxj znk ktj ul zuct gtj vgyy he vuyzkxy lux yusk ul uax bgxouay uxmgtofgzouty, roqk znk Pueuay Iutmxkmgzout ul znk Ysorotm Muj gtj znk Orrasotgzo gy ckrr gy g lkc cgxtotm yomty vaz av he znk Bgmak, Ekz Sktgiotm, Mubkxtsktz Gmktie.

Eua yajjktre ykks bkxe yigxkj. Un… Eua'xk xattotm uaz ul zuct… Cgoz! O ngbkt'z kbkt- Un, ckrr… O makyy ck'rr ngbk zu yzgxz coznuaz eua.
Ckriusk zu Tomnz Bgrk.

Google Translate

(Two Layers of Japanese)

You see a small town around and you realize two things. I do not understand the town at all. 2. The town is in the middle of the desert and there is no car anywhere. I do not know how to enter the town. When you are walking down the street, the "person" who is facing you is crying "Interloppers" and proceeds in their Mary style. Among the people you swore you choose an isolated hand that seems to belong to an angel (no doubt), five dragons, several ghosts, and a middle-aged person I can do it can do. It also finds many people hiding in Bush and elsewhere and wandering around hooded hidden futons. You go through Big Rico's pizza. There is no slice like Big Rico! Everyone you hear my voice. Yes, you.
You can leave Big Rico on the condition of the fact that I am talking about you. Hand it to a dog's park. No, no, there are no dogs in the dog's park. In fact, it is illegal for anyone to enter the dog's park. No! Do not approach the hooded person! Yes, I will slowly go back and continue the street. That's right ... I was hanging on the wall with a community calendar. Let's see ... Yes, Wednesday has not been canceled yet. I noticed that there are many events like mysterious food, dot · day, fried chicken, tobacco fair parade. Towards the end of the city, you will convey alarms like some posters of various organizations like the smiling God and the Illuminati's fun gathering, the Vague government threat. I will give a poster to the signboard.
You suddenly seem very scared. Oh ... you are leaving the town ... Please wait! I am not too much - Oh, well ... I think I have to start without you.
Welcome to Night Vale.

Lolcatz

u look around at teh small town around u an u realiez 2 tings. 1. u don't recogniez teh town in teh slightest an 2. teh town wuz in teh middel ov teh desert an ur car iz nowheer in siet, Srsly. u haz no idea how u got inot teh town. Srsly. As u walk down teh street teh, well, 'ppl' dat u assumd 2 bees teh residentz turn 2 u an shout "INTERLOPah" b4 turning away an goin on dem merwee wai. Among teh ppl u swear u can pick out angels (dat definitely don't exist), multipel 5-headd dragons, sum ghosts, an detached hand dat lookd likes it belonged 2 middel aged man, Srsly. u alos spot lotz da normal ppl hiding in bushed an ofr placez an lotz da oferz walking around wif hooded cloaks hiding dem figurez, Srsly. u pas by hooj Rioc's Pizaz. No wan doez sliec likes hooj Rioc! No wan, Srsly. u hear mah voiec. yez, u. Srsly.

As u coem 2 termz wif teh fact dat Iz talkin bout u, u continue 2 walk away frum hooj Rioc's. Srsly u pas teh Dog Park. No, no, thar r no dogs in teh Dog Park riet nao, in fact, it iz illegal 4 anyoen 2 entr teh Dog Park, Srsly. No! Don't approach teh Hooded figurez! yez, bak away slowly an continue down teh street, Srsly. dat's riet… u pas wall wif teh Community Calendar hung on it. Let's c… yez, Wednesdays r still cancelled. u notiec dat thar r lawts ov eventz goin on likes teh Paraed ov Mysterious Hooded figurez, Dot dai, an teh frid Chicken an Cigaretet Fair. u briskly walk toward teh end ov town an pas by posters 4 sum ov r various organizations, likes teh Joyous Congregation ov teh Smiling Ceiling Cat an teh Illuminait as well as few warning signz put up by teh Vague, Yet Menacing, Government Agency. u suddenly seem vawee skerd, Srsly. o… u're runnin out ov town… Wait! Iz haven't even- o, well… Iz gues we'll haz 2 start wifout u. Srsly.

welcom 2 Niet Vael.