Fiction on Odyssey: Legends of Vulcan (Luna)

Where do you go when you need answers? The library!

90
Google

"The gang's travels led them to a remote planet known for storing knowledge of all kinds.

'When you get to colonize an entire galaxy to do with whatever you want, you can spare a planet or two for all kinds of purposes,' was told to them before they got to Planet Minerva. There was a bustling of people going in and out of the very large building standing proudly down the road. It was utterly massive; as they walked toward it, the building hardly changed in size. This meant they still had some distance to cover before arriving at its front doors.

When they entered, the ceiling was non-existent it seemed; it spiraled upward into the heavens above, staircases and books following it upward.

"Alright, let's take a peek around," Luna said, all three siblings wandering off into separate directions.

Axel found himself in the 'Legends & Myths' section of the library, located on the sixth floor. And by 'section,' the library really meant the entire floor; he was now surrounded by a sea of texts collected from the hundreds of planets from the Andromeda galaxy, telling tales of triumph, failure, togetherness, redemption, solitude, and all of the expected tropes one would find in those texts. There were a few people and creatures reading to themselves in chairs and on the floor throughout the floor. All of the books were separated by planet.

The teenage boy always loved to read; books let his imagination roam free, and he liked following the journeys of characters. His feet had him wandering until he found the 'Vulcan Legends' section, Vulcan being a neighboring planet to his own. As his fingers grazed the spines of the books, he came across one that stood out from the norm. Typically these books showed signs of worn and usage, but this one was brand new. He pulled it out and gazed upon its cover: it was purple with tiny specks of glitter. Not enough to blind but enough to be noticed in the light. He also found that the cover itself was made out of some kind of rock, adding to the weight of the book.

"'How Humanity Learned to Fly'..." Axel said to himself, reading the title on the spine before turning it over and seeing it on the cover. He opened it and held it by the spine, the pages made out of papyrus. It was not a long read. The text looked handwritten, he thought to himself as he began to read; how peculiar.

'Ever since humanity burst into existence, they held their eyes to the heavens; this is how they discovered the sun and how to use it to tell time on the rocks. It is how they saw the night brighten into day, and day darken into night. And it is also how they discovered flight animals. These set of animals could do something that humanity simply could not: Fly. Humans, on the ground as they watched the skies, would see these animals of varying size soar up in the skies with relative ease, and they could go anywhere in the world that they wanted, all because of their hollow bones. Naturally this made humans envious; they could travel the grounds with technology, but had yet to make it in the air. They began to copy this act of flight on top of boulders a few meters high and jumped with their arms outstretched. Of course, the only direction they ever went was down; humans were not meant to fly...

...or so we thought.

I have found humans to be motivated by their dreams, by goals... and by being told they couldn't. If anything has helped the survival of this species, it is its determination; once an idea has been planted in their feeble little heads, they will never let it go: The universe said, 'no, you can't,' and humans said, 'watch me.'

And so humans kept jumping off boulders in hopes to adapt. And to their chagrin, they never succeeded, by jumping.

Since nature didn't help their bones, they used their advanced brains to figure out a solution. Two groups emerged: The physicals and the scientists. The scientists began to research the DNA and bone structure of a variety of flight animals while some began to experiment on themselves. They noticed how these animals were able to fly because of hollow bones; perhaps if they were able to hollow out a human's bone marrow and make small changes to its DNA over a large period of time to allow for adaptation, they could minimize potential disease and unwanted mutations while learning to fly.

Alas, they were not successful, at first.

These alterations opened way for issues such as new cancers and an inability to produce blood from the bone marrow loss. And still, they never gave up...

The other group, the physicals, decided to experiment on themselves, attempting a more drastic and so-called quicker approach where they would install makeshift wings made from steel and fibers. Installing these wings required experimenting, hooking this steel and the nerves into the flesh of their scapulas as they had seen from beings they called angels. As one can imagine, the first few trials had the wings ripping through this thin skin because of the weight of it all, killing quite a few and permanently damaging others. They failed to make the wings move after installation as well. The more intelligent of this group started experimenting with other materials until they settled on steel, fibers, and nerves, gathered from the nervous systems of feral animals; they shocked the nerves using a battery. They hollowed out the steel enough to lessen the weight of it, but kept enough to keep them strong. This proved... a little more successful for the time being, though because of the battery, some humans were shocked to death. But their wings twitched.

While the physicals were able to get their wings moving, they could not pass this on to their children; if these humans die, their dreams will die with them, so these two groups needed to come together in order to create a more permanent solution.

After a stroke of genius, attributing to both groups, a new kind of human was born, one with their very own set of wings. These humans could raise their arms proudly in order to show them off. Their arms, that turned out to be longer and lankier than ordinary humans, could morph into a set of wings with light hair covering their lengths. The fingers elongated like a flight animal's, the thumb melting into the top of the wing. Their skin would droop and become feathery in appearance.

But the most important thing here is, these beings could fly. Once they achieved flight, growing the necessary amount of muscle in their wings to keep them strong, they never hit the ground again, leaving many of us on the ground to believe that humans died out. Sometimes in the sky when the sun was particularly bright and one could see the shadows of clouds rolling against the mountains, one could sometimes see the shadow of the wings from these humans whizzing right by.

And so, this generation, and the generations after, would be called 'Two-Wing. Are they still alive, as they haven't been sighted in years? I'd like to believe.''

Axel looked up after reading the chapter, biting the inside of his lip and knowing he heard about these beings in passing before. It all had to be just legend, right? There was no way that humans could've managed that, for as smart as they were...

...or could they?"

To be continued