Fiber-Optic Internet: The Future Is Here

Think about open internet for your entire city.

125
konwersatorium1-ms-pjwstk.blogspot.com

Going into my summer vacation, Netflix decided to stop playing on my laptop, so as any other Netflix craving teenager does, I called the support number. Now, note I had just updated to Windows 10, so beware. But I was on the phone with a very helpful employee and he told me it was probably my internet connection, but that usually always the case but then it continues to work properly. He told me to try fast.com which is a website that not only checks your speed for Netflix but just in general. Mine was of course at a zero, so I asked him what the best internet provider was instead of AT&T. He told me about Fiber-Optic Internet and I was astonished.

As of now we are all used to a DSL and tons of cables just to get wifi hooked up, and sometimes its not a great connection or things will take hours to download. With Fiber your downloads could take a matter of minutes, and who doesn't want that?

As of right now Fiber is just no becoming popular in the technology world, but now you'll know too! Fiber-Optic Internet can reach speeds up to 500mbps 1gbps very easily. Therefore it will be much easier,and faster, to send emails, videos, or facetime with relatives far away. A single Fiber cable can even last up to 20 years, compared to that of a router.

As of now some cities don't service it to citizens but its just purchased through a provider, but some like Rhode Island, are nearly 100% covered by Fiber internet. In the near future, I guess we could see internet providers having cities install the cables for the entire city. This will ensure everyone will have internet everywhere. But it will come at a price because Fiber is very expensive at the moment. But just like many popular things, they are a splurge at once but the next day it will be a regular necessity. But if the installation cost is divided up between all inhabitants of that city, then it would be far less expensive then say for one household.

The reason its such a luxury now, is because you would have to pay a company to come install the cables for you, and they aren't your average cables. These have to be put underground so they can't get harmed. The cables are made from glass or plastic which will help their electromagnetic frequencies from being interrupted. So there will be far less "signal loss" o "downloads failed" when we can all have access to Fiber. It also uses light to transmit its signals instead of electricity, once it reaches the end of another fiber, it then will send a small message to a computer telling it what to transmit next.

As of now only 25% of the nation have access to Fiber-Optic Internet, but its growing quickly. Verizon Fios is the top service provider for Fiber, but hopefully other will follow suit.

Be sure to bring up Fiber-Optic Internet next time you have a talk with a tech friend. Also be on the look out for any chance near you to become part of the future!