A Few Thoughts About The Burkini Ban

A Few Thoughts About The Burkini Ban

600 words about France, Islam, and the Burkini

45
A Few Thoughts About The Burkini Ban
Daily Mail

How do you protect someone's personal freedoms, when that freedom leads them to repress themselves? Are they just expressing themselves the way they choose or are they just perpetuating whatever oppressive behaviors they have learned?

This is a problem faced by every nation that cares about protecting their citizens civil and social rights. The government makes laws protecting a citizens freedom of choice; then a citizen makes a choice that society does not agree with.

What is to be done, do we make laws outlawing that choice? If we do are we abridging people's rights? If a group engages in that practice does that law then target that group? What is the right thing to do?

Well, I do not have the answers to all of that. But, I can throw in my two cents. So with that out of the way let's talk about the Burkini.

The Burkini was designed in 2004 by Lebanese Australian Aheda Zanetti, to match traditional Islamic demands for modest dress with the active Australian beach lifestyle. She then copyrighted the design and began selling it online.

The Burkini is only one of several similar styles of 'modest swimwear' marketed towards Muslim women. This style of swimwear can be seen on beaches and pools all over the world.

However, this swimwear has been met with controversy in the west. This is mostly rooted from the ideas that Islamic traditions oppress women. I am not going to go into that today. Islam and women's rights is a different discussion from what I want to get into.

The Burkini specifically has come under scrutiny as two cities in France has passed laws banning the Burkini on their beaches. When I first heard about this, I did not take it all that seriously. I thought: "How are they even going to enforce something like that? What are they going to do force people off the beach?"

Then on August 23, I saw this headline "French police make woman remove clothing on Nice beach following Burkini ban." And then I was sad.

Believe it or not, this is not the first time France has passed laws specifically targetted at religious clothing. In 2004, the French lower house voted to ban "conspicuous religious symbols" in state schools. This would mean, supposedly, the following would be in violation: hijabs, yarmulkes(kippah?), large crosses, turbans, and other overt symbols. This was troubling to many people, but the law stands.

However, stripping a woman in the middle of a crowded beach seems like a significant step up from that. It is hard for me to find a good reason for the police to force her to undress in front of a crowd of people.

I also think I hate this law. It Seems to be predicated on the idea that a secular state needs to persecute the devout. I do not understand it, and I think that is where my biggest problem is.

In my opinion, religion and you personal relationship with it should be like any other lifestyle choice. Like being a vegetarian or a pacifist, you should be able to express your choice in so far as it does not interfere in other people's lives.

In that case, the Burkini is essentially the same as Soy-Bacon right? It is something specifically made for people that follow a particular lifestyle. It allows them to be able to experience something that they otherwise couldn't because of their lifestyle. I feel like someone shouldn't be denied experiences just because they decide to live by certain disciplines.

That is why capitalism exists right? To cater to the needs of consumers. The Burkini and clothing like it exist for that purpose; it fulfills an economic niche.

But then a state comes along and forces and makes it harder on people to follow a certain lifestyle. What is there to be done? What do you do when the government you live under decides that the way you live your life is immoral or somehow harmful to those around you?

I don't know I don't have answers to these questions. I just hate to think that any person who is just trying to live their life is being targeted because of the way they do it.