6 Tips To Feng Shui Your Dorm Room & Improve Productivity

Small tweaks to your space that make a big difference.

183

You’ve spent all night studying for that accounting test when you should have been studying for the lab first thing in the morning. Before you change your major and run, look around your dorm room. The average dorm room is about 130 square feet and can leave you limited opportunities to take advantage of your space. However, incorporating elements of Feng Shui can have proven results to help you pass that bio exam and pave the way for a more peaceful night sleep.

Feng Shui translates to “wind and water” and is an ancient Chinese tradition of art placement. Feng Shui puts emphasis on cultivating harmonious environments and supports health, wealth and happiness. The goal is to help balance life through Chi (life force or spiritual energy) these tips will help uninspiring dorm rooms seem more serene and balanced, helping you get through that cram sesh.

1. Remove clutter

Don't be a pack-rat! Remove any old clothes by donating and sell last semesters textbooks. An accumulation of junk can cause more anxiety and clutter in your small dorm.

In order to keep your Feng Shui in-line, recycle notebooks and old tests. Keeping a small box of things you want to hold on to in your closet can help declutter your living area. Feng Shui experts say having too much objects around your working space can overcrowd and cause unneeded clutter -- organization promotes productivity happiness and peace of mind.

2. Incorporate calm

The best Furniture is one that promotes harmonious flows of nourishing and vibrant energy. A good Feng Shui dorm room is intended to invite you in by use of balance.This can easily be done by using warm earth-tone palettes like oranges, reds and yellow are promote stimulation and energy while cool tones - lavenders, blues and green - are intended to promote relaxation.

When shopping for home office furniture, choose warm color tones around your desk. According to color analyst experts, it will help productivity levels and promote a richer working environment.

3. Embrace the light

Experts say color is a major factor of mood and stimulation. If you have an open window, natural light has been said to help balance health and prosperity in a room. To re-energize your dorm, try incorporating light bulbs that eliminate harsh shadows and glares.

Soft lights work better in smaller dorm rooms while brighter lights work best in larger spaces. If your dorm room is on the darker side, placing mirrors on the wall can help balance out the invitation of energy and light in the room.

4. Utilize your space

Furniture placement can be limited in your dorm room so one step is to make sure you're utilizing your furniture in the most efficient way. As mentioned earlier, removing clutter and using all spaces as efficiently as possible will help keep your mind, body, and soul in check. Designate a spot for all your electronics and keep that at least arm's length away while sleeping. Experts have found having technology too close to you while sleeping can cause severe health problems and alter your chi-flow.

5. Nature is nurturing

Seek balance by having something that represents all 5 elements -- wood, earth, metal, fire, and water. Placing plants and other elements of nature is another easy way to Feng Shui your dorm space. Something as cheap and simple as a bamboo bowl with pebbles in it can add an element of nature in your room. If your unable to have live plants in your room, photos of flowers or plants can also work.

6. Keep a sense of home

Always incorporate a sense of home in your dorm by having photos of loved ones on the wall. In addition, inspirational quotes and posters that speak to your heart will influence good energy, a sense of familiarity and positivity into your space.

Knowing the basics of Feng Shui can be a practical and cheap way to get through tough times. Whether your missing home or having a cram-sesh before tomorrows exam, the art of Feng Shui can offer a balance of lighting, art and color.

Feng Shui isn't a simple quick fix to stress or a superstitious new age fad, but more a simple interaction between a human and their environment. Allowing new elements of art and nature encompass your dorm can be a contributing factor to having more peace of mind and knowing the basics may allow you to embrace energy in all areas of your life.