There are so many kick-ass women in the world today, all filled with empowering words of wisdom. Here are some of my favorite words from my favorite women.
1. "Fighting injustice keeps you young." Gloria Allred
A female activist and attorney at law, Allred once brought a leather chastity belt onto the Senate floor to oppose an anti-abortion legislation.
2. “A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” Gloria Steinem
3. "We should stop defining each other by what we are not and start defining ourselves by who we are." Emma Watson
4. “It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences.” Audre Lorde
Look up the definition of intersectional feminist and you will see Lorde's picture.
5. "We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead." Beyoncé
A singing sensation and a feminist icon: Queen B is the queen of my feminist heart.
6. “Words have power. TV has power. My pen has power.” Shonda Rhimes
7. “I think the best role models for women are people who are fruitfully and confidently themselves, who bring light into the world.” Meryl Streep
Streep is the icon and inspiration the world needs but doesn't deserve.
8. "Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness.” Oprah Winfrey
Oprah has been a feminist role model for so long I'm convinced she's immortal.
9. "Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn't be that women are the exception." Ruth Bader Ginsburg
10. "Don't let anyone speak for you, and don't rely on others to fight for you." Michelle Obama
11. "Be open to learning new lessons, even if they contradict the lessons you learned yesterday." Ellen Degneres
Ellen is a timeless, feminist icon who we must protect at all costs.
12. "At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can." Frida Kahlo
13. "I felt that one had better die fighting against injustice than to die like a dog or rat in a trap." Ida B. Wells
As one of the first women in the U.S. to keep her maiden name after marriage Ida is the epitome of a strong, independent woman.
14. "I stand on the sacrifices of a million women before me thinking what can I do to make this mountain taller so the women after me can see farther." Rupi Kaur
15. "You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end, each of us must work for our own improvement." Marie Cure
16. "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it." Maya Angelou
Last, but not least, are the wise words of Maya Angelou. Her many books and works of poetry have been main sources of feminist inspiration for girls around the world, and she was the first feminist icon in my life.
P.S.-- My dog, Maya Ann, is named after Angelou.
For all the strong, smart, and fabulous women in my life: I love you.