Feminist Movies

10 Feminist Movies Every Girl Should Watch By The End Of 2018

Women taking control of their lives. That's a yes from me.

46
'Legally Blonde'

We often need a pick me up every once in a while, so here are some female empowering movies that'll inspire and encourage you to be the kickass woman you are! Never let anyone underestimate your worth as a human being or female because you're beautiful inside and out and strong.

"Mulan"

This classic movie is like no other. Mulan is no princess that needs saving from Prince Charming. She takes responsibility and discipline in her own hands for the sake of her father and enters the military as a male, and proves that she is as capable as her male counterparts.

"Legally Blonde"

After Elle Woods was determined to become the best in her law classes, it was over for everyone else. She proved to everyone that she was bright and courageous and that she needed NO MAN to know her own worth. Be classy, ladies!

The "Harry Potter" series

Harry might've been the main protagonist, but Hermione was the one that saved the two guys throughout the films with her fast acting and intelligence. She never held back on being opinionated or fearless when they were faced with ignorant beings or evil.

"Princess Diaries 2: The Royal Engagement"

Mia said she needed no prince to rule a country, and she was 100 percent right. She believed in her strength and love for her country and knew that she could handle everything by herself, so she spoke against the Parliament's old traditions and changed it. Wow, what a queen!

"Miss Congeniality"

Legend Sandra Bullock once again proved to us that we don't need to follow society's standards of beauty and fall into the trap of being pretty to get somewhere. Ladies, we are worth way more than our looks, so don't let anyone tell you anything different.

"She's the Man"

Your team gets cut because there's not enough funding and the boys' team is too sexist to let you try out for their team, what do you do? You get a complete makeover and try out for the other team to beat those sexist jerks. "She's The Man" taught us to go for what we love to do no matter what and to break the boundaries of inequality.

"Miss Representation"

I recommend this Netflix documentary any chance I get because it highlights the impactful effects of media and rhetoric and how their bias and language can demean and sexualize women. It really educates its viewers to be aware of what they're exposed to.

"Crazy Rich Asians"

I loved the small hidden plots of the women taking control of their lives and not just settling for what's expected of them. From Astrid understanding that she shouldn't have to be inferior to her husband because he can't accept her success to Rachel staying true to herself even under the pressures of the Young family. It was refreshing to see the main woman character not changing herself for the sake of her partner's lifestyle.

"Hidden Figures"

Based on an inspiring true story, three talented mathematicians worked hard through the discrimination of their workplaces and proved to everyone that racism will never stop them from achieving high-end challenges. The three ladies are an inspiration to young girls because they teach them the value of ambition and diligence.

"Suffragette"

Saving the best for last. Watching this movie makes me feel so empowered and emotional because it shows me just how much these influential women had to go through to ensure us to vote today. To see the history of how we got our rights is truly humbling because it teaches us to keep fighting for gender equality.