female sports fan.

Yes, I'm A Girl And Yes, I Can Be A Bigger Sports Fan Than Any Dude

Athletics are not just for male viewing pleasure.

283
Julia Price

Being a woman who is a sports fan in a world dominated by men is quite a struggle, to say the least. I don't know why it's so hard for men to grasp that yes, girls do have the ability to understand what's going on in sports, and yes when we understand we can grow to like that sport the same as they can.

Personally, I am a college basketball and football fan. I have bled Kentucky Blue since day one. At a very young age, my Dad drilled into me the idea that the Wildcats are the best and that's all there is to it. As I grew older and got more into basketball I couldn't help but agree with him.

Honestly, I never was a football fan until I started attending the University of Kentucky. Here in Lexington, it is a must to participate in at least one Caturday. It's seriously one of the most exciting experiences, and now that I have grown fond of the sport and this team I'm like, "where have you been all my life?"

Aside from college athletics, I am also a huge NBA fan. To be more specific: I typically watch the Chicago Bulls and the Phoenix Suns. In fact, I keep up with the games and players like it's my job. Devin Booker is my dude for sure! Therefore I can't help but complain to you men who feel as if you own the sports world.

There is nothing wrong with me liking the same things that you do! No, I don't know who won the SuperBowl in 1986. No, I don't know what blood type LeBron James is, but I do know that I enjoy watching the game and cheering on my favorite teams.

Additionally, to answer your suspicions, no, us sports fans who just so happen to be female do not do it for the attention.

Sure, I've seen a few girls act like they know what they're talking about just to impress Chad from Sigma Alpha Epsilon, but it's very insulting, degrading even when you automatically assume that those are our intentions. I could come up with at least one-hundred other ways that I could impress a man beside acting like I enjoy something that I don't.

Boys, it is time to stop judging me for liking something that society has labeled as "just for men," and it's time to start owning up to the fact that maybe I, a female, can be just as big of a sports fanatic as you can.