5 Female Movie Characters You Need To Remember

This is about the 5 female movie characters you either forgot, never knew, or didn't realize how bad-ass they are

41
murielsweddingmovie.com

I cannot relate to the lovely, popular, and fair-skinned girls I see on TV, but I can understand them when I watch them overcome frustrations and come out strong.

To find motivation, you don't have to watch a film that revolves around a strong female. You find these women in the waves of the plot as they drive it forward with their resilience.

Let's look at some old school classics.

1) Strictly Ballroom (1992)

Directed by Baz Luhrmann (Director of The Great Gatsby--2013), this film takes place in Australia where novice ballroom dancer Fran approaches professional dancer Scott to be his new partner.

In spite of being shut down and reminded of what an embarrassing step it is for a novice to approach a professional, Fran puts her foot down and reminds audiences that "a life lived in fear is a life half lived."

Every time I watch scenes from this movie, I remember that sometimes you really have to set your ego behind you and put yourself out there for what you want. Had Fran stayed behind because she was afraid of what people would say, she would have never had such a huge impact.

2) Bring It On (2000)

In spite of some royal screw-ups, Torrance Shipman (Kirsten Dunst) held tightly to her position as head cheerleader. If you watch closely enough, she stealthily shuts down a cheer coup.

She holds on because she is passionate about what she does. Her determination and hard work leads The Toros back to nationals where they win second place. If you know the plot of this film, you understand why second place is a big deal for this team.

As we touch on the cheer-ocracy, let's remember what a badass Missy (Eliza Dushku) was too.

3) Muriel's Wedding(1994)

Another Australian favorite, this film revolves around socially awkward, unemployed and unaccomplished Muriel (Toni Collette). She just wants to listen to ABBA and get married.

Due to strange circumstances, Muriel does eventually wind up married to an Olympic-bound swimmer, who wants nothing to do with her. He comes to like her a lot by the time she decides to leave and continue her adventures.

Muriel got the wish for a glamorous wedding out of her system. After her mother commits suicide she realizes that being married is not worth being marginalized for. She emerges confident, and does not lean on anyone's opinion by the end of the film.

4) Mean Girls

How could we not love Janis Ian?!

After years and years of being trapped in private schools with girls who thought they were superior because of their looks or their ability to intimidate, I found a hero in Janis who told her local mean girl to get over herself.

We will always have a piece of angry, brooding, vengeful and frank Janis Ian within us. It's how we survive.

5) Motocrossed(2001)

It wasn't a wig, Alana Austin really cut her beautiful blonde locks off to play Andrea/ Andrew, and it was clearly worth it.

When this movie came out 15 years ago, I thought it was about racing and romance but now I can see its about empowerment too.

Also, if you can't think of a good reason to keep a girl from racing motocross then she will do it her way, and she will kick butt at it.

You don't have to be a cheerleader, or a comedically vengeful adolescent, you just have to know that you can be happy in whatever role you have when you make the most of it. What all these characters walked away with was their heads held high after a journey of being told what they could and couldn't do, and doing what they felt was right in the end.