"Female" Is The Latest Derogatory Term For Women

have not spoken to a single person that uses "male" when referring to a man.

1392
Ashley Bullock

As a woman living in a patriarchy, I am subjected to being referred to by derogatory names, a common occurrence identifying as a woman. Despite advances of woman’s rights and no doubt, valuable contributions to the world, there are still inequalities. Some may not outright express their belief that women are, unfortunately, still not respected as much as a man, there is proof to the latter in language. Women endure the usual derogatory names invented by men such as "bitch," "ho," "slut," "thot," the list goes on and on.

The addition of the term "female" is one that many ignore as derogatory, but it is in fact disrespectful and carries the same meaning as other exclusionary terms. The patriarchy has once again managed to lower the status of women by using a term used to identify the sex of a species –– any species –– that gives birth to offspring such as a cow, a bird, dog, cat, elephant, snake, and now humans.

In utero, doctors determine the sex of babies, because by law, unborn babies are not considered "living." When the child is born, it is socialized immediately based on parental chosen gender determined by the assigned SEX i.e. male or female. Later in life, basic terms such as boy or girl during childhood are used then man or woman in adulthood. If you are not following let me make it clear, calling a woman "female" implies she is not human. It ignores the fact that women are indeed humans, just like men are humans.

However, I have not spoken to a single person that uses "male" when referring to a man. Male privilege has afforded men the opportunity to be considered human. "Female" has joined the slang of misogyny which is disrespectful and exclusionary. I am aware that women also refer to themselves and other women as females, this undoubtedly is an argumentative point used by sexist men to justify the use of the term as history has shown with other derogatory names for women. If women continue to be dehumanized rape culture is fueled sue to the fact that rapist do not view their victims as human, but as objects of control.

Referring to women as "female" is dangerous and disrespectful.

Look up "woman" in the dictionary. it is a noun that meaning adult HUMAN female. The definition of female is an adjective used to biologically distinguish reproductive organs. Stop reducing women to walking vaginas whose only purpose is to bare children and be the object of sexual activity.

I must reiterate the importance and duty of society to progress women’s rights for the protection of every girl and woman. It is detrimental to the mentalities of children to continue to teach them genitalia determines worth in a patriarchal society.

It's 2017, but women continuously have to defend themselves and demand the right to be recognized as valuable human life, human life that should free of rape, discrimination, and lack of opportunity. Women, womyn, womxn (however we choose to be identified) are in fact human, no less and no more than our human counterparts men.