To My Fellow Young Professionals

To My Fellow Young Professionals

How to survive the interview process

11
To My Fellow Young Professionals
Tim Gouw

When I graduated last May, I was ready and eager to work I couldn't wait to begin my new "adult" job and put my degree and all those years of hard work and studying to good use. However, there was one hitch with my plan: I couldn't find a job.

The post graduation job hunt is a cut-throat, fight to the finish. It's no secret that it is kill or be killed when it comes to finding a job. It doesn't get easier the longer you look for a job but it does get better and you learn to handle the ever-changing job market better.

I've botched my fair share of job interviews but one thing I can say is that after each interview, I've come out of it with a better understanding of myself. Each interview has taught me something that I can use for the next one and after finally getting over my fear of communicating with people one-on-one and getting over my nervousness while interviewing, I can finally say that I've nailed this job interviewing process.

If you're a young professional like myself and are having trouble dealing with job interviews here's a few tips I've picked up along the way:

1. Be Confident

Confidence is key while interviewing. If you seem unsure about yourself then potential employers will be unsure about hiring you. Potential employers want someone who is sure of themselves and are certain that they are the right person for the job.

2. Always Be Professional

Recently I was at a mixer for a company I was hoping to get hired on for. I arrived dressed professionally and acted as such. Turns out, the owner of the company was there observing everyone and the mixer was actually a pre-interview. The owner was trying to see if any of the candidates would be able to handle themselves in a business setting and represent the company well. When I got called in for my actual interview, the potential employer mentioned how those who weren't so professional were instantly no longer being considered. They had already made their mind up just off of that first impression. Moral of the story is, always carry yourself professionally because you never know who is watching.

3. Do Your Research

Before stepping into any interview, you should always research your potential employer. This makes whoever your potential employer feel like they are important to you and that this is more than just a job.

4. Loosen-up

Don't be so uptight. It's good to be a bit comfortable because this shows that you are friendly and can get along well with others. It's also a good way to show confidence and as I've said before, confidence is crucial.

5. Be Early

There's really no need to go into heavy detail here. Potential employers want to see that you will be able to show up for work and getting there early not only gives that impression, but also lets them know that you are serious and eager to work.

6. Don't Overthink It

I cannot tell you how many interviews ruined because I was too inside my own head. Try not to over-analyze everything and don't psyche yourself out. Just relax.

7. Always Stay Grinding

What I mean by this is never stop working on your craft. There's always going to be someone new graduating or competing with you for a position. You need to stay sharp. Whether you're still looking or have landed your dream job, never stop perfecting your skills and don't be afraid to learn new skills. You will thank yourself in the long run.

I follow these steps in every single one of my job interviews and they have helped tremendously. I've become more confident and better at interviewing. I'm sure this will help some of you in the future as well. I hope my advice treats those of you who will follow it well, unless of course we're competing for the same job; in which case you should FORGET ALL OF THIS.