Dear Recent College Graduates

Dear Recent College Graduates

Your life has just begun.

36
Dear Recent College Graduates
Meral Kathwari

Starting today, nothing is going to be easy. You’ve walked across that stage, moved your tassel to the left, and you’ve finally gotten your long-awaited degree. You have gone through so many hurdles to achieve what you have so far, but it’s nothing compared to what’s to come.

You haven’t been hired right away, and you’re probably not going to get a full-time job right away, either. You’re going to apply and apply, and for every 10 applications you send out, maybe, just maybe, one will write back.

It’s not you, it’s the competition. It’s a factor of probability. And even after you apply to those big corporations, some of them won’t get back for at least two months. No matter how much you interned, and how many parties you skipped, it just won’t seem like it was enough.

You’re finally realizing that the world is tough. You keep telling yourself you should’ve done more but more would’ve meant sleepless nights and weeks of being addicted to coffee, if you’re not already. It’s important not to get discouraged or depressed. You must stay motivated and focused. There’s no other choice if you’re seeking success.

You need to stop comparing yourself to everyone. Your friends, those around you, and those who have gotten a job before you. They’ve probably settled already; don’t be surprised or vexed, it’ll happen for you too. You have to patient, be kind to yourself—everything takes time. Miracles don’t happen right away and certainly not overnight.

Wake up, eat healthy, workout, treat yourself as much as you can. Continue the journey of branding yourself and working on your career. Do something everyday that gets you one step closer to achieving your goals. But also remember to have a little fun along the way. Don’t drown yourself in your thoughts. Go back to the campus parties, but only for a year because the harsh reality of it all is that people will judge you if they see you not having your life together and doing what you’re supposed to.

There will be so many moments you’ll feel lost. Whether you’re looking for a job or just trying to figure out what to do until you move on to graduate school. At some point you’ll feel hopeless and helpless.

The fact you no longer have a schedule will give you anxiety at some point. You’re whole life has been waking up, going to school, coming home, and repeating that. You’ve imagined what it would be like to finally graduate and now that it’s happened, you’ll wish you could go back.

Your friends are no longer around. All the ones you’ve made in school have gone back to their hometowns. You’re finally realizing that you’re on our own. This is all you, baby. And things aren’t going to be perfect right away. It’s going to be depressing as hell.

And then finally, once you get that job, entry-level or starter, you won’t even realize that you’ll be going to bed at 10 pm. It’ll be nearly impossible to stay up past 1 am.

You’re going to work so many hours and then realize that the government is taking away most of your money any way. You’re still not going to win right away. You’re not going to have months or weeks of predictable vacations where you can travel. You’re going to kick yourself in the ass realizing that you’ve should have gone on that European excursion or studied abroad when you had the chance.

It’s too late to go back now. You’ll have to make time for it once everything is settled. You will eventually have your routine back and make new friends. Remember not to limit yourself.

As long as you continue to be kind to others and yourself, there will be a place for you in this world and things will eventually come together. Remember to breathe and meditate if you can— it really helps.

Take your loved one’s advice and listen to your heart. Don’t give up and wait for that call. You need to remember you’ve done enough to get to this point. You are and will be good enough. One thing after another will happen again. And soon your life will be exciting again.