I Feel Like I'm Drowning In The Wake Of The Presidential Election

I wish I could cling to the idea that we had gotten rid of these thinkers and persuaded the population to open their minds and hearts long ago.

9
nbcnews.com

Since the 2016 Presidential election began I tried to be informed. I voted for the first time ever and without shoving my opinions in others faces, I tried to advocate for who I thought could be a great leader. Now, since, election night, I have felt at such a loss for what to say or do. Half of me wants to tell everyone what all the other brave people are saying.

Maybe he is just a very smart man. Maybe he took advantage of a weakness our society has overlooked for decades to get a position of power and status.

Hell, I would almost believe myself but the problem is that Trump is not the reason I feel lost. He can say what he wants. He can scream it from atop the White House for all I care. I just wish he had screamed it to the wind rather than right into the ears of the extreme groups and people we have been sheltered from for so long.

I will be the first to admit that when minorities would complain in years past I would shrug it off. I would think to myself: It's not as bad as they make it out to be. It's not the 50's anymore. I'm a woman and I manage just fine. We solved these problems already, right?

WRONG.

I was so very wrong. No one should have to accept "managing just fine" as living a full life. No one should be expected to "suck it up" or "shrug it off" when their anatomy, skin color, sexual orientation, etc. is the foundation of someone's prejudice. No one should have to scroll their social media to find videos of men like Richard Spencer, president of the alt-right National Policy Institute perpetuating white supremacy. We should not need to record that 892 known hate groups are currently operating in the United States, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. I wish that I could call this kind of thing regression. I wish I could cling to the idea that we had gotten rid of these thinkers and persuaded the population to open their minds and hearts long ago. But the truth is, this is not regression at all. This is the scum that threatens every stride we have made towards equality scurrying back into the light. This is their voices being restored by a public figure spouting their nonsense, making it seem okay. This is people who have kept their mouths shut for decades coming out of the woodwork because suddenly they don't feel alone in their misguided thoughts.

To be crystal clear, I am not talking about the people who have strong opinions about abortion or gun control or religion or whatever, except those who belittle others for their opinions on the matter. Moreover, I am referring to the people who are racist, who perpetuate rape culture, who think less of a group for no other reason but a physical trait they could not have chosen and that has no effect on their worth.

Regardless of all this, I still feel so lost. Why? WE LET THIS HAPPEN. We ignored the problems. We let these people slink into the darkness until they could shine again. We laughed when their voice was handed back to them on a silver platter. Oh, this must be a joke, right? LOL I can't believe he just said that! Why did it take us so long to realize what was happening, to get angry and what is left to do?

Most of us are not politicians or highs ups in big business. Most of us can't individually make a huge impact on the masses. That does not mean we should sit back and watch this unfold. We may not have the money or the power or the privilege to change this but we can come together and do our part.

So let's tear down their social media.

When you see a post that is down right not okay, that perpetuates everything this country has worked to get rid of, tear it apart. Tell them why it's not okay. Draw attention to their ignorance.

Let's finally start sharing the videos and posts that make us a little uncomfortable.

It's not always my first priority to share the video about transgender rights or some racist asshole because making my profile too political might take away from my image somehow. But the truth is that anyone who thinks less of you because you shared something like that is part of the problem.

Let's have an opinion.

Stop being afraid to have an opinion on these matters. Don't be rude but share it. Never be afraid to say it louder for the people in the back.

And let's start supporting our local organizations for change.

These organizations are here to support those affected by hate groups and to spread awareness of social injustice. They are not for profit and they can use all the help they can get. Support could take the form of volunteering at a food pantry or donating to a scholarship fund. It doesn't have to be a hassle and can be extremely rewarding.

Here's the thing, nothing is going to change until we do our part to make it. Yes, I feel lost and helpless most of the time in this situation but that doesn't take away from the many small things I can be doing to make my community, our country and this world a better place. Just ask yourself, is this really the environment you want your kids or your friend's kids or any kid at all, to grow up in? A divided country is good for no one and it's time that the good guys realized free speech goes both ways. Yes, they can say whatever they want but we are allowed and obligated to refute it.