6 Of My Favorite Nut-Free Snacks
food

6 Of My Favorite Nut Free Snacks

Because having a food allergy doesn't have to limit you.

30
https://www.flickr.com/photos/usdagov/15031804271

Growing up with a food allergy obviously changed my diet a little bit and at times it was frustrating. However, I have come to realize that there are some seriously great alternatives for those of us who have to avoid peanuts and treenuts. Here are some of my favorite snacks and treats (to buy and make) that are allergy friendly.

1. SunButter

Ok I know it sounds like it would be gross but I actually love SunButter. It might not taste just like peanut butter but I have no idea what that tastes like anyway. My favorite is the crunchy kind (it has sunflower seed kernels in the butter) and it is perfect on top of a rice cake or piece of toast or even just with a piece of fruit like a banana or apple. It contains the same amount of protein as peanut butter but with less saturated fat, no trans fat, and more Vitamin E than its peanut counterpart (AKA it is healthier).

2. EnjoyLife Soft Cookies

These are also gluten free and dairy free and they are so yummy. They're small and healthier than a normal store bought cookie and while they might not taste as sugary and buttery as those they still fend off my cravings. My favorites are the chocolate chip and double chocolate brownie ones.

3. FROZEN York peppermint patties

If you have a food allergy you know the ritual of checking the back of the packaging for the bolded words telling you which top allergens that food may or may not contain. On almost ALL chocolate candy wrappers it says "May contain nuts" and while it probably won't sometimes you don't want to risk it. This is why York peppermint patties are superior; they do not contain nuts nor may contain them. Put a couple in the freezer before dinner and then take them out later that night when you want something sweet. The cold mint paired with the chocolate is amazing. 100% recommend even if you can eat nuts because I guarantee this is better.

4. Vermont Nut Free Chocolate

This company is the best. They work out of a dedicated nut free facility and make the best chocolates and confections. My mom always got them for me and my brother for Christmas and Easter and it never disappointed. Some of my favorites are the Smurtles and the milk chocolate covered pretzels.

5. Kashi 7 Chocolate Chip Chia Bars

It is pretty difficult to find granola/protein bars without any kind of nut since they are apparently a great protein source (who know) but these are some of my favorites. They're full of healthy grains and what not but taste really good.

6. Nut Free Puppy Chow

My friends used to always talk about how good puppy chow was when we were younger and finally I realized I too could have my own puppy chow. Puppy chow is Chex cereal covered in peanut butter, chocolate, and powdered sugar but I make it with SunButter instead. I think it tastes awesome and my friends said it tastes almost the same to the puppy chow with peanut butter. Just follow any recipe for this but replace the peanut butter with SunButter.

I hope if you can't eat peanuts or tree nuts this excited you to try some new snacks and even if you have no allergies maybe you'll try one of these just for fun.