Favorite Music Releases Of 2015-2016

Favorite Music Releases Of 2015-2016

In no particular order.

18
Favorite Music Releases Of 2015-2016
pulsemusic

Music is a universal form of art. A melody can transport you back to a time or place, or make you remember a broken heart from eons ago. One of my favorite things to do is find new music. Over the years, I've found many artists and followed their careers. This school year, a bunch of artists follow released new albums. So here are a few of my favorites, in no particular order.

1. "Blue Neighbourhood" By Troye Sivan

First known on YouTube, Sivan has an avid online fan base. After he secured a record deal, he began to release EPs with songs like "Happy Little Pill" which was from his EP "TRXYE," which has over 26 million hits on YouTube. He then released an EP titled "Wild," which garnered recognition from Taylor Swift. It was also featured iin Zedd's song "Papercut." "Blue Neighbourhood" was released on December 4, 2015, and the entire record takes the listener on an emotional journey from the happy and infectious beats of "Wild," to a collaboration with the New Zealand artist, Broods. The album features a slick production of sultry beats coupled with powerful lyrics in "Lost Boy" such as "So what are you waiting for? / 'Cause someone could love you more." Sivan made a strong debut for listeners going on a journey from the echoing beats of "Suburbia," (perfect for late night driving) or the powerful pop anthem, "Youth."

2. "Delirium" By Ellie Goulding

Ellie Goulding came back with a vengeance with the release of her third album on November 6, 2015. She wrote on all 22 tracks, with the exception of "Love Me Like You Do." That song was released previously on the "50 Shades of Grey" soundtrack and it catapulted on the charts and was a radio hit. The rest of the record showcases Goulding's musical growth. While embracing her electronic roots, it has a distinctly more pop sound which is evident in tracks such as "Something In the Way You Move," and "We Can't Move To This." The record moves from "Aftertaste," a song that has the signature Ellie Goulding sound, to songs like "Paradise" and "Devotion" that embrace slow beats and showcase Goulding's vocals. In "Winner, "Goulding croons "But thank God, / The love is free." Her ballads are incredibly moving and she utilizes synths to create an atmosphere that truly complement her lyrics.

3. "Haiz" By Hailee Steinfeld

Steinfeld secured a record deal after her role in "Pitch Perfect 2," and her entry into the music industry was a success. Her first single, "Love Myself," was tremendously successful on pop radio and it showed her vocal ability and versatility. Though not affiliated with Disney Channel, she followed the child star actress-turned-singer track, which Disney made so popular, with flying colors. Though the EP only has four tracks, each track is so catchy that it's virtually impossible to sit still throughout each song. She re-released "Rock Bottom" featuring the band DNCE, and the song helped establish her success as a singer.

4. "25" By Adele

Adele's third album was long anticipated, but the wait ended on November 20, 2015. This was the conclusion to her trilogy of albums titled after her age, despite the fact she was 27 when "25" was released. Her album "25" was not as strong as "21," but that was to be expected since "21" was a huge success. That's very hard to follow. However, with songs like "River Lea" where Adele belts during the pre-chorus "But it's in my roots, in my veins / It's in my blood and I stain every heart that I use to heal the pain," it's hard not to call this album a success. Though I can't quite get behind the song "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)," a song that has traces of Max Martin ingrained in its very being, and the album is a bit shorter than I would like, I maintain that everything Adele touches turns to gold.

5. "I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It" By The 1975

After fooling fans into thinking they were going to break up, the 1975 released their second album on February 26, 2016. Every song has the distinct "1975" touch, from the use of their guitar riffs to Healy's signature vocals. However, this album was no different than their debut. It followed the same structure: instrumental tracks to break up the album. The majority of the songs could have been released with their debut album and it would have been hard to tell the difference. They deliver some great lyrics. As Healy sings in "She's American," "Don't fall in love with the moment / And think you're in love with the girl."

5. "Bouquet" By The Chainsmokers

The Chainsmokers, a popular EDM duo, released another EP on October 23, 2015, which includes their hugely popular song, "Roses." The pair knows how to cater to all audiences. They broke into pop radio with their song "Selfie," but also catered to an indie audience by remixing songs by Bastille, Daughter and Smallpools. This EP in particular has a personal favorite of mine, "New York City." The soft beat couples with a simple piano melody that effectively takes the listener to the night streets of New York and brings with it the feelings of a broken heart in a city that doesn't sleep. They recently released two new singles, "Don't Let Me Down," featuring Daya, and "Inside Out," featuring Charlee. "Inside Out" resembles "New York City" as an EDM ballad, while "Don't Let Me Down" is a shameless bop.

6. "Wide Awake" By Parachute

Parachute is a lesser known band, but they've been my favorite band since middle school. They released their fourth album on March 11, 2016, and though it's less sonically cohesive than I would like, they one-upped their previous album. Some of the songs embrace the sound they established with the release of their second album, "The Way It Was." "New Orleans" contains some classic Parachute lyrics: "And suddenly it's making sense, / When she shows me all / The roses in the sidewalks / Like angels at her feet."

7. "Modern Love" By Nina Nesbitt

A young Scottish singer/songwriter, Nesbitt finally released an EP on February 5, 2016, the first release after her debut album. The lead single "Chewing Gum" is a drastic step away from her first album, as the song features less of an acoustic guitar and more synthetic pop beats, embracing the new electro-trend that seems to be sweeping the industry. "Take You to Heaven" features a slow, psychedelic beat which promising a new and more mature sound for her upcoming album.

8. "Cleopatra" By The Lumineers

With a three year gap between the release of their first album and their second, The Lumineers hit the music scene once again on April 8, 2016. The lead single, "Ophelia," shows the classic Lumineers sound with a darker twist. The record embraces piano and guitar melodies more heavily than their previous release, but with each songs comes a moving story. "Gale Song," previously released on the "Catching Fire" soundtrack, encompasses everything this album stands for: a simple melody with lyrics that move you. This album is truly a strong comeback for a folk band battling for a place in pop radio.

9. "Made In The AM" By One Direction

I can't write about music without mentioning my high school freshmen loves. One Direction released their fourth album on November 13, 2015. The lead single, "Drag Me Down," features an infectious electronic beat, despite the fact the sound does not match the rest of the album. "Perfect" is a generic pop song, with nothing distinctive about it. Despite that, this album has some hidden gems on it, like "What A Feeling," with the lyrics, "When the air ran out and we both started running wild, / The sky fell down. / But you've got stars, they're in your eyes, / And I've got something missing tonight." The album is undoubtedly a release to finish out their contract, and though this album is not as strong as their previous two, I appreciate a new album with the tumultuous year they've had. The four boys all found a new harmony and showed their capability to function without Zayn. It's evident this is the only album that was released without the intention of touring, so the album leans more towards the use of acoustic instruments, making it the perfect background music.

10. "Revival" By Selena Gomez

Speaking of middle school loves, Selena Gomez switched record labels and came back to prove a point. "Revival" was released on October 9, 2015, and it is her most raw and vulnerable album yet. The record showcases a more mature sound than any that has been heard from her before. The listener hears this in "Sober," a song whose lyrics detail a love that cannot take place when the boy is sober. She embraces a sexy, sultry beat in songs like "Hands to Myself" and "Me and My Girls," a song where she makes it clear, "I'm not here to hook up, / I'm just here to turn up." This song truly marks a new era in her career, as Gomez also uses her lyrics as weapons against the world, saying in "Kill 'Em With Kindness," "And no war in anger / Was ever won." "Rise" showcases a sound reminiscent to that of a gospel choir, as she sings out, "Like the air you can / Rise from the rubble with your mind, you can hover. / You can rise like the tide, like the heat in the summer." With this album, Gomez proved that her music is better when she takes the reins.