10 Of My Favorite Comics of 2016

10 Of My Favorite Comics of 2016

It's getting more difficult deciding on a favorite series

48
10 Of My Favorite Comics of 2016
Wired.com

2016 has been another great year of comic books! Within it, we have some more awesome creator owned books, a new imprint, and the return of DC Comics. However, it's difficult to list my favorite series of 2016 in a particular order. The list does not reflect whether I like one series more than the other, but just which ones I am extremely fond of. However, I can create lists for days, but I had to narrow it down. Finally, I found the one special or one-shot that I considered being my favorite this year.

1. The Young Animal Imprint

DC Comics has struck a gold mine. The new imprint, Young Animal, has brought the weird and wild back to their universe. I cannot pick a favorite series among the four, but each appeals to a different side of me. "Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye" is a fantastic science-fiction pulp adventure; "Shade, The Changing Girl" is beautiful, trippy, and poetic; "Doom Patrol" is quirky and mind-blowing fun; "Mother Panic" is a wonderfully psychological, and brutal story. You cannot go wrong with any of these.

2. "Kill or Be Killed"

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips are a comic book dream team with previous series such as "Criminal" and "The Fade Out." The series follows a young man, who after trying to jump off a building, survives, and must pay back the dark force that saved him. Each month, he has to kill one bad person to live another day. Brubaker is able to demonstrate the horrifying effects of acting as a vigilante and what it can do to one's life in this series.

3. "Southern Bastards"

I am extremely happy that Jason Aaron and Jason Latour are continuing their creator owned series. After the first arc of the death of Earl Tubb, his daughter, Roberta, must return to Craw County, Alabama to avenge her father's death. The series examines issues such as legacy, racism, and southern heritage. Aaron and Latour have a crafted a story, full of brutality and the darker nature of this region.

4. "Dark Knight: A True Batman Story"

Paul Dini is one of the finest comic book writers in this era. While working on "Batman: The Animated Series" in the early '90s, Dini got mugged and beaten--almost to death. Using characters such as Batman, the Joker, the Penguin, Harley Quinn, and others to explain his emotional state and other afflictions, Dini crafts a gripping, personal, and unique reflection on his process to recovery. Eduardo Risso's artwork helps convey the tone and attitude of Dini's journey.

5. "All-Star Batman"

Writer Scott Snyder is still not finished with the Dark Knight. Following up his widely critical and commercial take on the "Batman" series, Snyder decided to team up with some of the best artists in the industry to explore Batman's relationships with his series. The first arc of the series follows Batman, who must go on a road trip to fix Two-Face. However, the villain promises money to anyone who can prevent Batman from reaching his destination. If Batman does succeed, then everyone's most deep and dark secret in Gotham City will be made public. John Romita Jr.'s artwork helps crank this series up to a 15, such as when a chainsaw welding Batman is present.

6. "Wonder Woman: Rebirth"

Greg Rucka has returned to writing about the Amazonian princess. Paired with artist Liam Sharp for the present, while Nicola Scott draws her first adventures, this has been one of my favorites from the Rebirth line. Rucka, Sharp, and Scott return to the roots of what makes Wonder Woman a fantastic character and an icon in our pop culture. I implore you all to grab a copy. You will not regret it.

7. "The Fix"

"The Fix" focuses on two crooked cops that will do anything in the name of the American Dream. Despite the grim sounding title, the series is one of the funniest, even though it features some true psychopaths. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber craft a tale in which the only hero is a drug sniffing dog named Pretzels.

8. "Power Man and Iron Fist"

Sweet Christmas, the Heroes for Hire are back! One of the greatest team-ups in comic books returns. David F. Walker, Flaviano Armentario, Sanford Greene, and Scott Hepburn bring the missing magic back to Marvel's dynamic duo. You cannot go wrong with this series.

9. "Detective Comics"

To all the people that say Batman works the best alone, you're wrong. "Detective Comics" is a great comic book since you have Batman assembling a team, comprised of Batwoman, Red Robin, Spoiler, Cassandra Cain, and Clayface. Yes, the villain Clayface gets to redeem himself by becoming a hero for the Batfamily. Ever since the first issue, I have constantly had my eye on this series.

Favorite One-Shot: "Love is Love"

It amazes me when people come together and offer their support and talent for those in need. Following the horrific mass shooting at Pulse this summer, DC, IDW, and other comic book companies banded together to release this special issue to benefit the victims, survivors, and families that were affected by this horrible event. Every story and panel goes above and beyond to demonstrate how different people reacted and responded to the Pulse shooting. Also, every cent of the profit is being donated to the inflicted victims, survivors, and families--this includes the digital version as well. There are no words to describe the emotion I experienced when reading through it.