9 Of My Favorite Childhood Movies

9 Of My Favorite Childhood Movies

A blast from my past.

53
9 Of My Favorite Childhood Movies

I spent a weekend watching tons of old movies and couldn’t help but reminisce on all the movies I loved as I was growing up. These movies are a big part of me and I love them with all my heart. So, if you’d like, continue reading about why these movies are the best or just look at which one’s are my favorites. Either way, enjoy!

1. High School Musical (1, 2, and 3)

If you know me, you know too well how much I worship these movies and how much they impact my life on a daily basis. No, I’m not embarrassed that songs from these movies constantly pop up in my playlists, in fact, I’m extremely ecstatic. Especially now that it’s my senior year in high school and it’s right around the time when basketball season has reached the state tournament; I get too excited when a song from the final movie comes on. I’ll never get tired of these movies and will probably force my kids to listen to it as I drive them to school.

2. The Cheetah Girls

Okay, don’t even get me started on The Cheetah Girls because I’m pretty sure this movie along with the other two are a big source of my sarcastic, sassy attitude. I also believe it’s where my ‘extra’ ness is derived from because I swear if you watch this movie now, you’ll realize that all four of these girls were always so dramatic. Anyways, the soundtrack of this movie is probably one of the best and I’ll never stop loving these girls.

3. Hannah Montana: The Movie

Hannah Montana was a big influence on me as a kid, as a TV show and especially the movie. I have no idea why I thought I related to it so much because no girl really lives a double life as a popstar these days. Maybe it was because I was almost in my preteen stage and thought The Climb was the anthem to my 10-year-old problems. Regardless, this movie always has a place in my heart.

4. The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

First off, don’t judge me. Yes, I love SpongeBob and yes, this movie was and still is the funniest thing to ever exist. To this day, I still love watching episodes, old or new, with my little brother as we bask in the stupidity of the humor in this show/movie. I will always continue to reenact the part of the movie where SpongeBob and Patrick are in the abyss of monsters and go back and forth slapping their bodies to the music.

5. Toy Story (1, 2, and 3)

If you don’t love these movies, there’s something seriously wrong with your heart. The story of Andy’s toys, especially Woody and Buzz, and all of their adventures of somehow always finding their way back home is heartwarming and hilarious. I’ll forever be terrified by Sid and his sadistic way of treating toys just like I was when I watched the first movie. Besides the odd evils in the toys’ stories, I’ll continue to cry during the final movie when Andy hands his toys down to Bonnie and plays with them for the last time before he heads off to college.

6. The Incredibles

Any type of superhero movie has a place in my heart because it somehow always pleases my fantasy of having my very own superpowers. This movie especially kickstarted that fantasy and also the fantasy of getting married to Dash because for some reason I was just madly in love with him. The Incredibles started my obsession with speedsters and led me into the dark hole that is my obsession with The Flash. And before you ask, yes, I am extremely excited for the sequel coming in 2019.

7. The Princess Diaries (1 and 2)

A couple weekends ago I had the flu for four days which led me to watching a whole bunch of old movies and these two movies were a part of that. I hadn’t re-watched them in a while and oh my god I forgot how funny they were. I remembered why I loved them so much because I identified with Pre Princess Mia way too much. I’m was way too clumsy, way too childish, and had way too wild curly hair. I am not going to lie when I say that scene where they are trying to brush her hair and the brush snaps in half has happened to me way too many times. Side note, I also extremely identify Vice Principal, Sandra Oh, in the scene in the first movie where Queen Clarisse comes to the school and she’s so nervous that when she’s handing her the cup of tea, she begins to profusely shake because of her nerves. I always found that part hilarious.

8. Tangled

This movie re-sparked my obsession with all things Disney when it came out. I have a very vivid memory of sitting in the movie theater and trying to hide my tears from my family. Especially the part where Flynn cuts Rapunzel’s hair off to free her of all the troubles her stepmother caused her even though he was dying and her hair could’ve saved him. Then he has the nerve to tell her that she’s his new dream and then I really couldn’t stop the waterworks. This movie has a very special place in my heart because I’m 95% sure that after the movie, when I went to the bathroom I realized I got my first period.

9. Lilo & Stitch

As this is the final movie in my list, it’s definitely ranked as one of my all-time favorite movies as a kid and even today as a 17-year-old. Even though these movies weren’t ranked in any order, I wanted to save this one as the best for last. Lilo and Stitch sparked so many obsessions in my life, from my Elvis Presley obsession to my dream of being Hawaiian even though it’s very much impossible. I honestly don’t know why, but I was and still am obsessed with Hawaiian culture, nature, and Hawaii’s all around existence. Also, for some reason I feel like I can identify with Lilo and more importantly, her makeshift doll, Scrump.