Fathered And Fatherless

Fathered And Fatherless

Why Having A Dad Changes Your Life

88
Fathered And Fatherless
Scoop Whoop

In modern day America, having a dad who is invested in his family is the exception, not the rule. Families are broken by divorce, neglect, adultery, money, and abuse. In America alone, 43% of children grow up without a dad in their life. There is no question that children who lack a father figure suffer from several different challenges in life. This is a severe detriment in society, and we are beginning to suffer the consequences. In case you do not understand the potential results of a fatherless home, here are just a few statistics.

• 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes (United States Department of Health)
  • 85% of all children who suffer from behavior disorders come from fatherless homes (Center for Disease Control)
  • 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger come from fatherless homes (Justice and Behavior)
  • 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes (Department of Correction)

These numbers are staggering. Simply take a look around, and the painful consequences of fatherlessness are unavoidably evident. In my work with children, I see these heartbreaking results first hand. Their hurting hearts with festering scars often lash out in anger or fear. In my workplace, I interact primarily with men from lower socioeconomic rankings. Through conversation and interaction with them, I am able to see from the perspective of fathers with unwanted children, who have been split by divorce, jail time, and abuse. Among the men I work with, very few have any kind of relationship with their father, and they are now made to be fathers themselves. Several of them have buckled under the weight and succumbed to abuse or neglecting their children. Both sides of this equation are heart wrenching.

Despite the loss of fathers in our society, they are called to be examples of Christ to their families. In the Biblical model of the home, fathers invest in their children physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. They are called to set a climate of worship and submit themselves to the Lord's authority. When this happens as God designed, many of the aforementioned problems are eliminated. Children grow up knowing they are loved, protected, cared for, and irreplaceable. They are punished and corrected in gentleness and love. We can see these guidelines laid out for fathers in the verses below.

Proverbs 20:7 "The righteous man walks in his integrity, his children are blessed after him."

Colossians 3:21 "Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they may not lose heart."

Proverbs 13:24 "Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."

Yet, this is not the case for thousands of children. For those of you who lack a invested earthly father, do not despair. Statistics do not define you or your future. There is a heavenly Father who will never leave you or forsake you. His promises are true, and can never fail. He is the only one who can fill the hole in your heart. His love for you exceeds all that this world can offer; He died to have a relationship with you. His love is freely given, there is nothing you can do to earn it. You must only accept Him.

“See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God, and so we are.” 1 John 3:1

If you have accepted God’s gift of salvation, you do not have to live fatherless. As the verse says, you are His child! We all must live in this truth.

Having recently celebrated Father’s Day, I spent time considering this article and the weightiness of it. My father is an exception to this cultural norm in American society. I have been blessed with a dad who loves the Lord and acknowledges his accountability to Him. He provides for his family as best he can, working long hours while making sure he has plenty of time with us. I have never had a game, concert, speech, performance, or event that he did not make it to. He selflessly serves his family. When I need help, he is always a phone call away. He has stood by me through the darkest times, and loved me still. I have never wondered if he would come home when he was angry. He has disciplined me in love, challenged me with grace, and caused me to grow in my spiritual walk. He gently points out areas that I need to grow in, and when I am wrong he corrects me. He protects me and I know he would willingly die for me. He is wise and rarely reacts out of emotion. Problems are thought through, evaluated, and prayed over. He treats my mom with respect, love, and adoration. This has established a high standard in my heart and mind of how I should be treated as a woman, and as a daughter of the King.

Most importantly, he sets an example of having a genuine relationship with Christ and strives to push His family towards the Lord. My dad is like Christ. You cannot know him without knowing His Savior. And because of that, I pray that someday I am like him.

As I have been able to reflect on the graciousness of my heavenly Father to place me under the authority of my earthly father, all I can really say to both of them is

Thank you, Daddy.