To The Father I Wish I Had At Birth

To The Father I Wish I Had At Birth

You came into my family’s life right when we needed you.

17
To The Father I Wish I Had At Birth
Psychologies

You came into my family’s life right when we needed you. I didn’t know it at the time, but you were our saving grace. After our biological father walked out the door, you walked in and you picked up the pieces that needed mending. You offered us a safe haven, a place to really call home. I didn’t like you at the time, but you gave us what we needed.

I didn’t like you because I was a stubborn young girl going through so many changes at once and I didn’t like the idea of someone replacing my father. I thought you were going to be a quick thing with my mom that would fall through. I definitely wasn’t optimistic. My mother had taken care of us thus far and I wanted things to stay that way. However, I was too young to understand though that she needed someone and that someone was you.

The first few years were rough. I was angsty and dramatic and thought no one understood my feelings. We fought. Things were tough--but you remained on my side.

High school brought new twists and turns as well as boys and frenemies. You and I grew closer than ever before and I began to finally warm up to you. You helped me through heartache and although difficult, you let me learn a few things on my own (I’m sorry for continuously being so stubborn).

Last summer was our best so far. We laughed and you let me listen to my music on the stereo and I felt relaxed for once. You truly became my best friend. Our beach days and drives up in Northern Michigan are some of my favorite memories.

I know my first year of college was difficult for both of us. I grew distant, but I promise I didn’t mean to. I was just a bit busy continuing to find who I am. I promise I didn’t do anything against what you’ve taught me—you raised me well. I’m always cautious in what I do; I always check for the nearest exit, as well as the nearest bathroom. All of our late night talks while LMN movies were playing in the background have done me well.

You’ve taught me to be brave when I had to stand up to my bullies. You make me laugh when I need it most. You’ve taught me to be wise and calm in tough situations such as when I thought I would fail physics. You support me, whether it’s my singing, acting, helping me through my depression, heartache, or boy advice. You’ve taught me everything you needed to and I couldn’t thank you more.

You’re still my best friend and always will be, but you’re also the best father I could have ever asked for. Thank you for providing us with someone we can turn to in times of need. Thank you for always being there for us and being the dad we wish we had at birth.