Faster Horses Advice And Tips

Faster Horses Advice And Tips

Who's ready for the party of the Summer?

932
Faster Horses Advice And Tips
Alexis Grimshaw

After this cold spell we're having, I can't help but wish for summer and hot weather to be here. And once I start thinking about summer, I think about the Party of the Summer and get even more excited! Last year was my first year going, and it was hands down my favorite trip of the year. Summer weather, country music, and partying: what's not to love? On its 5th year anniversary, Faster Horses is featuring an all-star lineup and ticket levels are at an all-time high. So to anyone heading there in July, whether it's your first of fifth time, here's some advice and tips:

Camping

Make a list of everything you need to bring and who's bringing it. There's nothing worse than driving all the way there and realizing you forgot the hotdogs in the fridge or to bring deodorant. As a lover of lists, I already have my packing list started (and yes, it's about two pages long).

Bring dry ice. Now, I haven't tried this one yet, but I've heard lots of people say that it lasts almost twice as long as regular ice. Just be careful not to freeze anything!

Speaking of ice, do not buy it at the festival. It is expensive. I'm talking at least 10 bucks for a bag. Last year, we would wake up and drive to a gas station a few miles down the road and fill up for the rest of the day. We saved a ton of money.

A canopy or shade of some sort is an absolute must. Last year, it was really windy the first day, and our canopy ended up blowing over and breaking! Needless to say, we baked in the sun the next three days, even though it was pretty cloudy. So bring a canopy, and be sure to stake it into the ground or secure it somehow.

Bring water: gallons of water, bottles of water, whatever it may be. You're going to need it, if only to brush your teeth or rinse out the smell of beer after that guy spilled it on you.

Bring something to charge your phone (portable charger, etc.). There is no electricity (unless you're in a camper with a generator) and you're going to want to get some pictures of Luke on Sunday night.

Make friends with your neighbors! Even if you don't know them going in, neighbors are great if you need to borrow something, need an extra person for bag toss, and can make the experience that much more memorable! Everyone is there to have fun, so you might as well meet some new friends while you're there!

Make sure to scope out your campsite before you start partying. Know where the bathrooms and showers are, know what way you have to go to get to the concerts or shuttle busses, and so on.

Clothing

Wear closed-toed shoes, tennis shoes or boots, preferably. If you don't, your feet will ache and be absolutely filthy.

Dress to be comfortable, stylish and functional. Just because you see pictures of girls in bikinis doesn't mean you have to wear that if you're not comfortable! Just because you see pictures of guys going shirtless doesn't mean you have to do that if you're not comfortable! Wear what you want and what you'll feel comfortable jumping up and down in.

It's going to feel 100 degrees out, though, so loose fitting clothes are probably best! Jean shorts are the perfect staple and go with everything but get uncomfortable after a while. Crop tops are cute but the tight ones will only make you sweatier. I wore bathing suit tops under loose tank tops and I was perfectly comfortable the whole day!

Girls, you can't keep your hair down, it will get dirty and wind blown and it won't look good anymore. I'm a fan of wearing bandanas (cause they come in every color and absorb sweat), but you can also braid your hair, use cute headbands, or just use clips/ponytails.

Hygiene

You have to get in line early for the shower, I'm talking 7 am here. The later you get there, the longer the line, especially for the women.

And if the line is too long, you can always use the water spigot right by the showers to wash your hair. Just bring some shampoo and a friend to help, and you're good to go! (It may be cold water, but you'll heat up soon enough in the summer heat!)

And if you don't plan on showering at all, bring baby wipes or washcloths to wipe off. Your tent mates will thank you and you won't be as sweaty.

Bring toilet paper.

Bring EXTRA chapstick and sunglasses. Those are two things you will be very sorry if you break or lose the first day.

Bring (and wear) sunscreen, at least on your face and shoulders. I didn't wear much last year since I was already pretty tan, and my face and shoulders got as red as lobsters the first day. You're going to get tan no matter what, so just be sure to keep up on applying it!

Concert

It may seem dumb, but if you have a bad memory (especially after drinking and being out in the sun all day) it's a good idea to write down your campsite on your hand or arm. It can be really small. But you'd much rather walk up to a security officer and show him your hand and he helps you back to your campsite rather than standing there being totally lost. No shame.

Bring an empty water bottle into the concerts, they have free fill up stations! Although it may be a hassle to keep track of it, you'll be happy when you don't have to fork over 6 bucks for a water. Plus, it'll keep you from getting dehydrated (talk about a buzzkill!).

Always make sure you have a buddy within your group. Whether it's a best friend, boyfriend/girlfriend, a sibling, just be sure that it's someone who's going to look out for you! Once you're in the concert, things get pretty hectic, and it's nice knowing that someone is always looking out for you. Plus, you have a built-in potty partner!

Make sure that you put a good, protective phone case on. One that can protect your phone from spills, drops, and being stepped on.

If you don't like the band on the main stage, head over to the Next From Nashville stage. They play a few covers of songs you already know and are guaranteed to be insanely good.

If you want a good spot, you have to get there early in the day. A lot of people don't go for the first couple of artists, so it's easy to get a close spot. But as it gets later, more people go and try to get good spots for the later acts. So if you have a favorite artist that you have to get front row for, be sure to get there early!

Lastly, just enjoy yourself. Everyone acts a little stupid and crazy, so as long as you're safe, enjoy the Party of the Summer!

See you guys there!!!