10 Most Asked Questions About Birth Control Pills

You're Not The Only Girl Who Wants These 10 Questions About 'The Pill' Answered

Ladies, get in formation and learn about your birth control.

1647

Disclaimer: Always trust your gyno over Google.

As a woman, it is your right to be the captain of your own ship, also known as your body. In other countries, some women do not get to exercise their right to protect themselves when it comes to reproducing and many do not have a say when it has to do with their own body. Although living and health standards differ in contrasting countries, many women around the world use birth control for many different reasons. There are many forms such as an IUD, a shot, a ring, and most commonly known, the pill. Today I am here to answer the most frequently asked questions many young females may have about the most well-known form of birth control and share my experience to make this decision a little easier.

First things first, I am no gynecologist. This article is just based on my personal experience and is not a suitable replacement for professional medical advice.

But if you are thinking about going on the pill it's pretty important to get an understanding of how it exactly works. Most birth control pills usually contain estrogen and progesterone (which are hormones) that act to stop ovulation. If no egg drops, it can't be fertilized. Without spoiling anything else, here are the many frequent questions I have had people ask me and questions that I actually looked up myself before getting on the pill.

1. Why are there so many different pills?

Without getting too scientific, some pills contain different levels of hormones. So if you have extremely painful periods and cramps, the gyno may prescribe you one pill pack over the other verses if you are starting birth control because you are sexually active. As I stare at my pill pack right now, I take 24 active capsules and 4 placebo pills at the end of every month. I am currently prescribed Taytulla but other popular brands you may have heard of are Yaz or Estrostep.

2. How does the pill affect your period?

With my personal experience, it took my body about a month and a half to regulate. By regulate, I mean to adapt to stopping my body's natural production to avoid pregnancy. Every female is different, but for myself, I had a difficult time getting used to it basically because my "period" visited me for a month straight. Do not be scared though, once your body does its thing, it is pretty smooth sailing from there. If you miss a period while on the pill it is fairly normal since it generally makes your monthly friend a bit lighter. However, if you miss your period more than three times, like myself, I suggest going to your gynecologist just to make sure everything is good under the hood.

3. Does it really change your mood?

Not to scare anyone off (as I said, everyone is different) but my mood seemed to progressively change. I seemed more stressed and noticed that I became more emotional. Like I said before, your body has to become familiar with what you are taking so do not give up if you notice a slight change in anything. I have been on the pill for about nine months and the mood swings have died down. Hormones can mess with you but that is why there are so many different forms of birth control so do not be nervous to weigh out your options.

4. Do you gain weight?

This seems to be one of the most popular questions regarding this topic. To start of this question, I never gained weight or had weird cravings. But some women do report gaining weight and estrogen may be to blame for that. But if a teenage girl starts the pill at 16 for an example, her body is not done growing and maturing so she is bound to gain a little weight before she is a full adult. All different pill brands can have a different impact on your body. In fact, after a month on the pill, I went for a follow-up and found out I had lost weight, which was even odd to me.

5. What exactly is in the pill pack?

Going off of my brand, Taytulla, I take 24 active pills (with the hormones in them) and 4 placebo pills (containing nothing, just a friendly reminder to keep you in the habit of taking them regularly). The placebo pills are generally around the time you are supposed to get your period at the end of the pack. You can start your pills whenever you want and whatever day of the week, so for myself I started my first pack at the beginning of each month on a Sunday at 10 p.m. The timing is usually when it will be most convenient for you to take them. It is pretty important to take them at the same time of the day to have this contraceptive be the most effective.

6. What happens if you miss a pill?

Don't panic, I've done this before and we are all human. The best advice I can give is to put an alarm on your phone. Each pack comes with instructions and what to do if you miss a pill. For me, I take it as soon as possible or double up the next day, no big deal. But since everyone is different along with all of the brands, it could throw off an imbalance in your body, but generally speaking, I do not think it is a big deal, just follow the instructions on the pack and use a different form of protection if you have to.

7. Is it bad for you?

Everything is good in moderation and the pill helps a lot of women and makes their lives easier. I know women that have taken the pill for over 10 years and have healthy kids and a healthy body. The pill has all different purposes but if you are trying to avoid pregnancy it can be very effective. You can look up all of the side effects on long-term birth control, but trust your gyno over Google.

8. Why is it dangerous to smoke on the pill?

So, of course, many products have labels to warn you about smoking, but you may want to take it a bit more seriously while on the pill. Risk of a stroke, blood clots, and more are a huge warning especially for women who are over 35. Mixing hormones and nicotine are not the best things to do mainly because increased blood pressure is commonly found. Estrogen engages the blood vessels and adds more stress to them, so put the JUUL down.

9. How effective is it?

Studies show that the pill is 99.9% effective. If taken correctly, the pill is very effective and only an estimated 0.1% of women get pregnant when properly taking it. In fact, the pill protects you against pregnancy so after seven days of starting it, if that is your only form of protection do not worry. However, the pill does not protect against STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) and STIs.

10. How do you know if you are ready for the pill? Is It Expensive?

I keep mentioning that women go on the pill for a number of different reasons. If you have horrid menstrual cramps or an irregular period, the pill may just provide the right amount of hormones you need. But if you are becoming or already are sexually active, the pill gives you a very strong sense and peace of mind that you are protected. Once I got to college, I made the decision to go on it because I wanted to be ready and exercise my right as a woman to make my own health decisions.

But, don't whip your wallet out right away. Insurance covers many forms of birth control, or at least makes it a little easier to afford. That is something you need to talk to your doctor about. With my old insurance, the pill was free and I received a three month supply in the mail every three months. For once something in my life was actually easy. However, I did switch insurance and now I pay $25 for three months of pills. Not sure if it will change, but there are also coupons, clubs you can join, and Planned Parenthood can also help.