Fantasy Series That Feature Strong, Complex Women

Upset at how "Game of Thrones" is treating its female characters? Here are some series that treat their female characters right.

130

Here are some of my personal favorite fantasy series that showcase women how they actually are: complex, strong, and more than just a plot point in a male character's story arc.

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

Celaena Sardothien is the youngest assassin in Adarlan, captured and forced to work at the Salt Mines of Endover. After the Crown Prince chooses her to be his champion, Celeana must fight for her freedom while hiding a secret she has been keeping since birth. Over 6 books, we are given the opportunity to learn and grow with Celeana. I have never seen such a strong character come into her own, be clear in what she wants and how she wants it. This story is not just about her, but about her strong support system. She makes mistakes, falls in love a couple of times, but always makes it out okay. "Throne of Glass" is one of my personal favorite series, and the emotional roller coaster this series will throw you on will be one you'll never forget.

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson is one of the most well-written fantasy series you might ever read. Sanderson is an incredible writer, with fantastical worlds, an incredible magic system, and characters you will fall in love with. Vin is rescued from the streets and taught how to fight by a larger than life legend Kelsier. She grows into one of the strongest fighters in the city in order to take down the Lord Ruler. Vin is not just a badass woman, shes straight up a badass. Mistborn will have you gripped from the first page, never letting you go.

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

The Cruel Prince trilogy is one of my personal favorites, full of love, betrayal, angst and cute faerie men. Jude is a human child brought back and raised in Faerie lands, constantly bullied and out of place. She dreams of fighting for the King but because of her race, she cannot. She instead becomes one of the best spies, working her way up to the top through her cunning abilities and intelligence. Jude is incredible, someone I relate to heavily, and her love-hate relationship with Prince Cardan is downright delicious. This was my favorite read of last year, and I still think about it constantly. The last book in the series is scheduled to come out later this year.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

The Six of Crows duology follows six misfits as they attempt a heist unlike any other. All the characters are deliciously complex, but the women of these books are some of my absolute favorites. There's a reason they refer to Inej as "The Wraith", she's quiet, sneaky and absolutely deadly. After getting kidnapped from her family and being forced to work in a brothel, she joins the group as the spy. Not only is Inej powerful representation for South Asians, but she's also constantly conflicted between duty and love. Nina is powerful, a representation of fat women, and has the power to damage a person's organs. She's hilarious, and incredibly forward and always puts her country's interests in front of her own. I've never quite cried as much as I did with the second book in this duology, and there's a Netflix based on this series currently in development.