No One Man Should Have All That Power

No One Man Should Have All That Power

"If you're a fan of blockbuster action movies you should feel right at home watching Power."

21
No One Man Should Have All That Power
Google Images

If you don't have the Starz network through your cable provider, there's a good chance that you have never seen rapper 50 Cent's critically acclaimed show called "Power." The show follows a New York City drug kingpin as he looks to become a clean business man via club ownership and the trials and tribulations that come along with the lifestyle.

The main character, Ghost, goes through many changes as a person and thus far in the series one could see how he has become both a hero and a villain to those he loves. While most people might hear a brief summary of the show and write it off as violent and "too graphic/raunchy," the show features several moments that the average person can relate to while revealing much about life. I could give you several reasons to watch Power, however here are the top five in no particular order:

*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

1. The show actually depicts common issues when it comes to running a business.

Season one's finale episode featured a shooting that took place inside Ghost's club and there was a woman that had taken a "bad batch" of cocaine a few episodes prior. Issues such as this in the club business are very common and create legitimate issues for the business going forward. Season two features the new boss of Ghost's former club, Simon Stern, hiding assets from the club which is another common practice when it comes to business. People will do heinous things for money and what's even deeper about the idea is that Ghost's sole purpose is to become a legitimate business man and even when he does the right thing something terrible happens. Side note: Ghost lost his club after it was shut down due to the season one shooting. Stern had more "legal money" than Ghost at the time and was able to reopen the club and hence became the boss. By Season 3 Ghost gets the club back by proving that Stern stole from his own club to stop Ghost from reaching a sales goal agreement and working with Stern's now ex wife to buy three clubs that the wife received from Stern in the divorce settlement.

2. There are lessons about family that are revealed.

Ghost's family experiences issues with regards to infidelity and how that effects the children. Tasha, Ghost's wife, experiences the self doubt that some women get when their husbands aren't around as often, and although the family is wealthy they are far from happy and there are still many issues that exist for the family overall. Tommy, Ghost's business partner starts his own small "family" with his girlfriend Holly and experiences much of the same issues with regards to trust that many normal families and relationships overall endure. The characters appear to be authentic and many viewers likely tune in weekly because they can relate.

3. The show is full of action and deep conversations.

If you're a fan of blockbuster action movies you should feel right at home watching Power. The show features plenty of fighting scenes to keep the viewer on their edge for the full hour and the conversations are very important. There's even enough erotic sex scenes that can satisfy the masses outside of those looking for full on pornography. Some shows feature meaningless conversations, however Power has conversations that reveal much about things going forward in the show's world and reflect issues that the normal person living in the real world must at time endure. Tommy's ultimatum to back stab a friend, Ghost's conversations with his wife, and even Kanan (50 Cent's Character's) brief anecdotes about how he got to this point in life are all deep and complex dialogues that the show features. The echoing of trouble and the call to continue selling drugs despite his resistance is something that could be seen for many living in the real world.

4. The show thoroughly explains everything that's going on.

There aren't too many points in the show where you are clueless to what's going on as the plot is very well developed. There are times where you will assume what's coming next and it's almost as if your questions are answered directly roughly an episode later. With each season being no more than 10 episodes thus far, it appears easier to fully grasp the small parts of the plot and watching episodes more than once is not necessary to get the point. Again if you're just watching the show and not paying the dialogue any attention it may become difficult to follow. Nevertheless it does not take too much effort to be in tune with what's going on in the show and possibly what's going to happen next.

5. It's NOT Empire.

Empire seems to have hurt itself when it began to include too many characters and took away the substance of "main characters". Empire gave "main characters" less room to develop by using this method and the show became more of a live musical with guest appearances each week. Power includes a pretty steady cast with only one "main character" dying through the first two seasons. When a new character is seen in the show, they are not a "main character" and the plot reveals such as there is little to no effort in developing a personality and side plot behind said character. 50 Cent and the producers have truly created a structure where a show like Power appears like it could exist in the real world and it continues to grasp more viewers each week.

If you're not convinced yet to see the show, or don't have Starz, contact me and you can watch it with me. After just the first episode of season three, the show became the highest rated/viewed show in the Starz network's history and got renewed for both a 4th and 5th season. Tune in every Sunday at 9 pm eastern standard time for new episodes and enjoy what I would consider one of the greatest shows on television today.