Injuries & Sports

Injuries & Sports

4 Famous Catastrophic Injury Cases

13
Serious injuries in Sports

Injuries & Sports - 4 Famous Catastrophic Injury Cases

While exercising and outdoor activities are a great way to burn off calories, steam, energy and a great way to get in shape, there are also risks involved. Like anything in life, there is some sort of risk involved in participating in sports. While engaging in physical activity is a great activity, it also poses risks.

Certain activities are more dangerous to participate in compared to others. Below are some of the more famous sports related accidents that resulted in catastrophic injuries. In the most extreme cases, death occurred.

Christopher Reeve

Christopher Reeve was an American Actor that starred in several films in the 1970's and 1980's including the Superman trilogy. In 1995, Christopher was participating in a dressage event and the horse refused to jump. Mr. Reeve subsequently fell of the horse and and injured his first and second vertebrae paralyzing him from the neck down.

After the accident, Christopher became one of the most well known and prominent advocates for stem cell research. He lobbied for spinal injury research and advocated on behalf of Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation that dedicates their time and resources to finding treatments and cures for spinal cord injuries, paralysis and neurological disorders.

Sonny Bono

Sonny Bonny was a famous singer and politician. He and his wife at the time starred in a popular television variety show in the 1970's. The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour starred Sonny Bono and Cher.

Later in his life, Mr. Bono entered into the world of politics and was elected as the 16th mayor of Palm Springs, CA. He eventually was elected to the US House of Representatives representing California's 44th district.

Three years and two days after Sonny was elected to the House of Representatives, he lost his life in a skiing accident in South Lake Tahoe, CA. He succumbed to injures sustained after hitting a tree while skilling.

Tyler Christman

One of the more recent catastrophic injuries in the United States occurred when JV High school player Tyler Christman suffered a head injury. Tragically, Tyler lost his life after collapsing, having suffered extensive brain damage from bleeding the front cortex of the brain.

Eric LeGrand

Eric LeGrand was a member of the Rutgers football team during the 2010 season. A defensive tackle and member of special teams, Eric suffered a serious injury.

There was no malice or injury intent from the other individual involved. Unfortunately the speed and impact caused injuries for both Eric LeGrand and Malcolm Brown, the member of the opposing team that hit him. Malcolm Brown, a member of Army's football team, suffered a fractured collarbone during the hit. However, Mr. Brown was able to able to get to the sideline while Mr. LeGrand laid motionless on the field.

LeGrand had suffered a catastrophic spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed from his neck down.

Although Eric had suffered a severe injury, on the field of football, he would begin a different phase in his life. After he was paralyzed in 2012, the former head coach of Rutgers, now with the NFL's Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Greg Schiano signed Mr. Legrand to a symbolic NFL contract.

Since the injury changed Mr. LeGrand's life, he has been recognized by the ESPYs where he was awarded one of the highest honors of the awards show, the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance. He eventually obtained a bachelor's degree in Labor Relations and has published a book about his life.