I Am My Brothers Keeper and My Sisters Protector

1246
Siblings

In spite of Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my family, but mainly my siblings. Holidays are rough for me, but they know that and they always try and make them better. I've never had a problem making friends, but I did and do have a problem choosing the right friends. I also have issues maintaining friendships, probably because I choose the wrong friends, to begin with. The best thing about having siblings for me was that I got a built-in best friend. I am the oldest of three, so I was lucky enough to be blessed with three lifelong friends who have my best interest at heart and I have theirs.

Growing up my mom placed a huge emphasis on being close to my siblings. She raised us to be super connected and the best friend relationship kind of came as second nature. I thank my mom all the time for ensuring we had that bond growing up. Through many of failed friendships later I realize my siblings were all I needed really. I just wanted to be understood and loved without judgment and I would look for that in friends when I could've just turned to my siblings for that.

Having siblings growing up was a pain though because I was in charge while mom was at work and they didn't like that. We didn't ever see eye to eye on situations and how they should be handled, but in the end, it was my say that counted. This was always a battle and I couldn't stand it, and I'm sure they couldn't either. When I wasn't in charge we could hang out like normal friends and everything was just fine. When I wasn't babysitting I had a ton of fun with my siblings. My siblings teach me something new every time we are together. Whether it's my eldest brother and his philosophical ways, my younger brothers lightheartedness, or my sister's inspiration, they all show me different views on life.

My eldest brother is who I go to when I need advice. People sometimes think that because I'm the oldest I have to have all the information and be the rock all the time. Wrong! That couldn't be further from the truth. Sometimes I can't take the pressure and I need to pass the buck, and well he's next in line. My brother has a deep connection to life, one I will probably never understand, but I'm thankful he does because sometimes I need that light shed on a situation. He is way more logical and realistic about life than I am. I'm a dreamer. My youngest brother is so silly and lighthearted that you can't help but to be in a good mood when you're around him. He's my support system when I'm sad. I don't know how, but he always seems to cheer me up. He keeps me kind and compassionate. My sister is mainly where my inspiration comes from. She is a dreamer like me, and she's so young that it's adorable to watch her imagination come alive. She's very informed about what is going on around her though. She stays hip to the latest trends and current news, and by that she makes me feel young again because I go to her to know anything current. She's so smart it's crazy, but her mind gives me the motivation to continue to achieve my goals.

All in all, my siblings are amazing people. We are all very talented and gifted, especially when we hone in on our gifts and tap into our true potential. The best gift my mother ever has given me is my siblings. We have an unbreakable bond that could never be strained because we believe in sticking together. I truly have a great family that I am so thankful for and outside of the blood relation I have three friends that will never turn their backs on me. I am my brothers keeper and my sisters protector.