Family Is Forever

Family Is Forever

Whether you live down the street, or across the country, you're always in the heart.

14
Family Is Forever
Molly Cullen

Having a big family is a blessing. When I was little I had plenty of cousins around, going to family parties and cookouts was always a highlight because I got to see all my cool older cousins. As time went on, things happened and families moved, leaving us without much family close by. Cookouts happened less and less, and the numbers showing up to holidays dwindled, until most made different plans.

In the age of social media, it is easy to keep up with family that are hundreds of miles away, sending a quick Happy Birthday, or Merry Christmas is easy enough to remind them you're still thinking of them. You are able to keep up with their lives one Facebook status and picture upload at a time. "Liking" their life becomes the norm instead of picking up the phone to call and ask how things are going. Social media is a blessing and a curse. While it is amazing to be able to see families lives through a computer screen, nothing beats the real thing or having a phone call to talk about what's going on.

The best thing about having a big family is when you come together it seems as though nothing has changed. It could be a year, five years, or twenty years and you can still come together and talk like you have seen each other just the day before. We can not only thank social media for keeping us updated on their lives but also the bond of family for being able to not even skip a beat. Family is family; no matter what, you will have each other's back and support each other, even from different parts of the country.

It's so easy to get caught up in your own life and forget to check in on family or plan a visit, but it takes being with them and feeling the love and happiness radiate in the room to realize that it is worth it to take the time to hop on a plane for the weekend, or drive a few hours. You don't want to miss out on the big moments in the lives of the people you love. Whether it's seeing the look on your cousin's face as the love of his life walks down the aisle toward him, or being introduced to your cousin's baby for the first time and seeing the pride radiate from every part of them. Or the simpler moments like giving your uncle an actual hug, to laughing until you cry sitting in a room together just feeding off each other's humor. These are moments to be cherished and not to be missed. So make the trip, take the time off of work, call your cousin's on their birthday instead of posting on their Facebook wall in two seconds before you go to work.

Make the time for family, friends will come and go but family truly is forever and whether you like it or not you're stuck with them. Luckily, I'm stuck with the best of them.