5 Shows To Watch Instead of "Roseanne"

5 Shows To Watch Instead of "Roseanne"

All the comedy, without the racism.

54

A few months ago it was announced by ABC that they would be rebooting one of their most popular family sitcoms, "Roseanne" The series that lasted 9 seasons from 1988 to 1997 followed the Conner family as they navigated lower middle-class life in a fictional Illinois city. In 2017, the show was revived for a 10th season with the entire original cast. In May of 2018, the show was snatched off the air after only 9 episodes by ABC Entertainment Group President Channing Dungey after show namesake, Roseanne Barr, compared an African American former Obama Administration adviser to an ape. Yes, in 2018 black people are STILL being compared to primates.

It's hard to say that I'm shocked as Roseanne Barr is known for her racist, outlandish comments and conspiracy theories. But on the brighter side, here are 5 other family comedies you can watch and as a bonus, there's no racism involved and they all feature people of color.

1. "Black-Ish" (ABC).

"Black-Ish" is an American comedy-drama starring Anthony Anderson as Dre and Tracee Ellis Ross as his wife Rainbow. The show centers around hilarious upper middle class African American parents from California who are trying to raise their five children in today's political and social climate. The show often touches on current events such as police brutality, while giving humerous commentary on the double consciousness of black-folk in America.

2. "Modern Family" (ABC).

"Modern Family" is an American mockumentary sitcom featuring the blended Pritchett-Dunphy-Tucker family. The series follows the life of dad, Jay Pritchett, along with his second wife, their son, his step son and his two adult children and their families. The show features interracial relationships, a gay couple, as well as what it's like to adopt children into the family.

3. "Jane The Virgin" (The CW).

"Jane The Virgin" is an American satirical romantic comedy drama. The show is a loose adaptation of the Venezuelan telenovela "Juana La Virgen." Set in Miami, the series stars Gina Rodriguez as Jane Villanueva, a religious Venezuelan-American woman who was planning to save her virginity until marriage but accidentally winds up pregnant by artificial insemination.

4. "Fresh Off The Boat" (ABC).

"Fresh Off The Boat" is an American sitcom series, loosely inspired by the life of chef and food personality Eddie Huang and his book, "Fresh Off The Boat." The series follows the Taiwanese family of a young Eddie Huang as they make a new life in Orlando after leaving the Chinatown district of Washington DC. The family opens a cowboy-themed steak restaurant in 1995 as they navigate being the only Asian family in the neighborhood while trying to achieve the American dream.

5. "Marlon" (NBC).

"Marlon" is an American comedy television series starring Marlon Wayans and Essence Atkins. The series is loosely based on star Marlon Wayans' own life. This family comedy hilariously centers around two divorced (and sometimes very immature) parents trying to be the best mother and father to their two children

And you have my word that the shows on this list are 100% funnier than the racist, uncomfortable, pro-Trump return of "Roseanne."