What Living In A Homeless Family Is Really Like

Yes, My Family Was Homeless, But You Didn’t Know That Because We Didn’t Match Your Stereotypes

Being homeless changed my life but it doesn't define me.

4321
Lexi Link

Looking at my family or my social media you wouldn't ever know my family was homeless, but we were, for almost half of year. We weren't on the side of the road begging for food or money. We were blessed enough to be able to stay with friends and family house hopping. I also would like to take a minute and say thank you to everyone who opened their home to my family and allowed us to stay with you, it means more than you will ever know and it left an impact that will last a lifetime.

My family wasn't homeless because my parents didn't have a job or anything like that. In fact, my dad had two and my mother had one as well. Unfortunately, my mother just got very sick and the medical bills began to pile up while she was out of work for a few weeks and it was hard to find somewhere else to stay that we could afford. We didn't look like the typical homeless person and we certainly didn't act like it. Many people didn't know until I told them years later.

This is not meant to be a story to make you feel sorry for me or to make you think my family had it rough. We might have had it rough but being together, the ability to get that close to my family is something I wouldn't trade for the world. Even if it meant sleeping on basement floors at times and not being able to do all the things I wanted to. It made me stronger, it made my family stronger, and it brought us closer.

But before you go on to judge someone for being homeless and assume they are too lazy to get a job or don't have one. Know that there are people who do have a job, multiple ones, but life and unforeseen circumstances can arise and your life can change forever. Luckily my family was able to find a place to stay and we have been there for three years, going on four. It's just that sometimes you cannot control your circumstances and no matter how much you think you are prepared, you aren't.

Being homeless changed my life but it doesn't define me and I certainly do not fit the stereotypical homeless person. There is always more than just what meets the eye when you see someone who is and they come in all forms.