If Your Fall Semester Was A Movie

If Your Fall Semester Was A Movie

Winter Break: a time to examine the unexamined life

21
If Your Fall Semester Was A Movie

Finals week is coming to a close, along with the year of 2016. Is it just me or did this semester whiz by especially fast? As we move into winter break, we move into a space that allows some extra time for retrospection. My question to ponder is this: How can I live my life with a clearer sense of purpose and meaning? We are all familiar with this cliche and the Socratic claim that "the unexamined life is not worth living". This wisdom has been around for centuries and centuries, but it can be easy to forget and simply go through the motions of our busy days as we get caught up in all the things we have to do.

The bright side of this fast-paced college life is a long break-- time to step away, breathe easy, and to reflect on the past 4 months. A to-do list may be the last thing someone wants to look at after finishing finals, but humor me.

The Winter Break To-Do List: Taking time to examine your unexamined life

1. Picture your life as a movie.

What do you, as the viewer, think of yourself as the main character? What kind of person are you? What kind of life do you live? Think about your actions, words, choices, interactions and experiences. What was the set point, rising action, climax, resolution, and ending of your fall semester? Would you enjoy watching this movie? What music is on the soundtrack? How do feel as the screen goes black and the credits play? What do you hope for in the sequel?

2. Unplug. Disconnect. Power off.

Spend a day with no phone, and see what life brings you when your eyes aren't locked onto a screen. You'd be surprised how different your day might turn out. Go out and do something, talk to strangers, be momentarily unconcerned with whatever is happening on your phone and take in your immediate surroundings. When your spending time with friends and family, don't take your phone out when the conversation starts to slow or when your friend gets up from the lunch table to go to the bathroom. When you're bored, even if you just have a few hours to kill, go do something really awesome; and, resist the urge to post it on your snapchat story. When your alone, be truly alone and take a break from the constant communication and connection that technology allows us.

Be present, enjoy moments of silence, be creative, and remember what it is like to be you when nobody is watching.

3. Read up on secrets as told by the healthiest, happiest, oldest folks of the world.

How was your overall physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health this past semester? We all have room for improvements. Why not take advice from some superstar centenarians? The Okinawan people, who are known for their longevity, are inspiring as they age gracefully and radiate pure joy. These 100 year olds live simply, work hard, eat well, stay active, soak up the sun, stress less, enjoy community, and just keep smiling. Ikigai is the Okinawan word to describe a sense of purpose, a reason to wake up everyday and be alive. Do you have an ikigai? Click on the link below to learn about the 5 Blue Zones, the longest living cultures of the world, and think about how you can apply their lifestyle practices to improve your own health and happiness.

https://www.bluezones.com

In conclusion,

I hope winter break is filled with thoughtful reflections, expressions of gratitude, and new aspirations fueled by your deepest desires and passions. May we all return in January with revitalized souls, kinder hearts, greater senses of purpose, and better understandings of what makes us truly and authentically happy.