Fall In Love With Creighton

Fall In Love With Creighton

13
Fall In Love With Creighton

When people ask me where I go to school, usually always resulting in them thinking I am a freshman, I always respond with a smile and say, "Creighton University.” Then I am often given quizzical looks while they wonder where that school is located, to which I respond without being asked, "It’s in Omaha, NE.”

Like clockwork most individuals then presume that Nebraska has nothing to offer but cornfields and Husker games, which I have never been to. These assumptions are far from the truth, and they always will be.

”Do you know Doug McDermott?” I ask. I tend to use this question as conversation starter to my claim to fame.

I go on and explain that he was a very talented basketball player who now plays for The Chicago Bulls, which also happens to be my hometown team so of course I am more than a little biased, but he is a big deal.

My line is, “Yeah, I used to see him at a few parties.” Meaning I saw him from afar and sometimes at the infamous Jay where everyone would stop and stare.

Although people may not know Creighton like I do, it is definitely a place that is worth recognizing. It is easily one of the most underrated schools I have heard of, but it is my favorite place in the world, at least one of them as I have still not been to Europe.

Regardless, I would never trade my experience at Creighton for someone else's at different university. Never do I wish that I went to a state school because I know, and God knows, that I could not survive tailgating every weekend. I commend serious applause to everyone that somehow manages to survive and thrive.

Creighton University is based on Jesuit values, an idea that you would never think twice about reflecting on or realizing you would make a connection with. However, as my third year at Creighton continues to breeze by, I have realized that living by these values and amongst an irreplaceable community is something that I could never get anywhere else.

One of the Jesuit values that Creighton offers is Women & Men for and with Others. Sure this could just be a statement, but I now am able to comprehend that the community I surround myself genuinely influences and impacts each other positively.

It is never an environment in which you feel put down or as if you have to compete with one another. Individuals come together for the sole benefit of each other. If that’s not love, I don’t know what is.

Cura Personalis is another Jesuit value. The first time I heard it I just thought it was Latin gibberish and lacked the knowledge to understand the actual meaning behind it. From a Jesuit standpoint, it means “Care for the individual person," or respecting one another.

When people ask me why I love Creighton, I am overwhelmed by the emotions and feelings within me. I tell them that I love the people, which is why I love Creighton. You meet people who you never thought could impact you in such incredible ways, which embolden you and hearten your sentiments for this school.

The feeling of walking down the mall seeing new and familiar faces each day is honestly breathtaking. There is so much respect and honest care for our peers. A smile goes a long way even if you hardly know the person.

There is something about Creighton that truly fills me with so much happiness, and for that I will be forever grateful.