Why I Love Fall: Grand Rapids, MI Edition

Summer was great, but Fall is better -- especially around here.

41
Wall Paper Cave

Finally. It is officially fall. When I tell people fall is my favorite season, they automatically think it's for the stereotypical reasons like pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks or the chance to wear leggings and Ugg boots. While those things are great, they’re not the reason I love fall so much, especially here at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids.

For one thing, the campus is absolutely beautiful. There is nothing like walking through all of the trees and gorgeously painted leaves sprinkled on the ground. Aquinas is already a beautiful campus, but this time of year, it’s breathtaking. And it’s not just around campus, driving through all of Grand Rapids in the fall, I feel a sense of comfort. There’s just something comforting about the red, yellow, and brown spread throughout the city.

The temperature is also fabulous this time of year. Summer heat can be nice for beach days and shorts. But let’s be honest, Grand Rapids summers are HOT, especially this year. And it’s nothing like the cool breeze in fall that allows you to put on your jeans and cool new jacket. To me, there are so many cute styles available for fall. There are scarves, boots, jackets, sweatshirts, etc. It’s a comfy season with a comfy temperature and comfy clothing. Some of my best friends during the fall are blankets. Yes, blankets. You can curl up on the couch with some warm coffee or cocoa, and relax.

This weather also allows you to hang out outside with your friends without getting heat stroke or sweating up a storm. Fall offers opportunities for classic activities like pumpkin picking, corn mazes, hayrides, and hot chocolate. Some of the best memories I have are from trips to the local farms in Grand Rapids. We’d spend hours running through the corn mazes, picking just the right pumpkin, and stuffing our faces with donuts and cider.

Another exciting thing about fall is the one and only Halloween. Halloween is definitely my second favorite holiday. Who couldn’t love playing make believe and getting free candy while having a good time with friends or family. Some people think Halloween is for kids, but honestly, it’s for everyone. And I don’t think anyone likes it better than college students. What I love about Aquinas is that there’s so many fun opportunities to get into that holiday spirit. Halloween is just such a great time to let loose and have fun. No one judges you for dressing up as a giant fruit, or a doctor, or something obscure. The best part, you don’t have to worry about buying gifts for people, it’s solely about having fun.

Not only does fall give us Halloween, but it brings us that much closer to my all time favorite holiday: Christmas. It’s right there, on the horizon. It’s just out of reach. But before you know it, it’ll be here. But for now, I am going to take my time and truly savor this season because it is truly full of so many exciting opportunities and an overall comforting atmosphere. So while yes, summer was fun, it will never be as fun as what is about to come. And I’m so ready to begin.