21 Facts About Hedgehogs That Will Make Your Day

Trust me, you will want to read this just for the pictures of the hedgies!

192

Hedgehogs are becoming an increasingly popular pet, but how much do you really know about them?

1. These adorable spiny creatures have over 5,000 quills on their bodies.

cdn.pixabay.com

That's a lot of spikes!

2. Hedgehogs are native to nearly every continent except for the Americas and Antarctica.

cdn.pixabay.com

So if you see a hedgehog in the wild, here in the States, you know it was probably someone's pet once.

3. Hedgehogs are popular pets despite being mostly nocturnal.

cdn.pixabay.com

They sleep over 17 hours a day.

4. These little guys are voracious. They can consume 1/3 of their entire weight in food.

cdn.pixabay.com

That's a characteristic I can respect.

5. So, what exactly do they eat? 

images.pexels.com

Pretty much everything. From insects like worms and beetles to fruit and mushrooms, nothing is excluded from the menu.

6. They do sound like pigs.

cdn.pixabay.com

True to their name, hedgehogs do sound like pigs when they are foraging because they grunt like wild hogs while searching under-leaf for bugs.

7. Hedgehog babies are called piglets.

cdn.pixabay.com

But they don't look much like a pink piglet, so they aren't easily confused.

8. The average lifespan of a hedgehog is about eight years.

cdn.pixabay.com

Eight years is not long enough to enjoy these majestic creatures.

9. It is illegal to have a pet hedgehog in Washington D.C. and New York.

images.pexels.com

The good news is that it is perfectly legal to have a pet hedgehog in Florida.

10. There are 17 species of hedgehog.

images.pexels.com

And each cute in their own right.

11. If threatened, the hedgehog curls into a spiny ball.

images.pexels.com

When in danger, the hedgehog rolls into a spiky ball and waits for the predator to go away. It does not shoot quills or roll away.

12. They shed their spines annually.

cdn.pixabay.com

Not all at once, of course, but gradually over a year.

13. What they consider a home varies.

images.pexels.com

Some species dig their own burrows or inhabit the abandoned burrows of other earth-moving dwellers such as the aardvark or badger. Other hedgehogs create nests under bushes or in hollow logs with leaves, twigs, and moss.

14. Hedgehogs hibernate during winter.

cdn.pixabay.com

The do the same in summer if they live in a desert region.

15. They are prey animals.

cdn.pixabay.com

Their main predators include owls and other birds of prey as well as the mongoose, ferret, and fox.

16. Large hedgehogs will hunt snakes.

images.pexels.com

They have erinacin, a protein that naturally counteracts toxic venom, which would help them fend off a bite from a snake. However, this does not make them entirely immune to the potent venom of some serpents like cobras and pit vipers.

17. If you remember nothing else from this article at least remember that a group of hedgehogs is called a prickle. 

cdn.pixabay.com

You won't forget that one.

18. The African Pygmy Hedgehog is the most common species in the pet trade.

images.pexels.com

These spiky snowballs are the cutest.

19. Hedgehogs have a particular affinity for snails and slugs.

www.maxpixel.net

Yum!

20. Due to their pest-rich diet, hedgies have a nickname.

images.pexels.com

They are called a "Gardner's Best Friend."

21. Their eyesight is underdeveloped.

cdn.pixabay.com

They rely mainly on sound and smell to track prey.

If you are considering adopting a hedgehog as a pet, make sure you are a nighttime person who likes to stay up late as this is when your pet will be most active. It's not fair to wake them up in the day for hours on end. Hedgehogs are nocturnal by nature, but will be awake for a few hours during daytime. Feed them a varied diet of hedgehog kibble (yes, this exists) and fruits and vegetables. Treats should include live or freeze-dried meal worms. The most important rule, however, is to love your hedgie as much as you would a dog or cat.