I Am Facing My Insecurities And Realizing Beauty Is More Than Your Physical Appearance

"Beauty doesn't last forever, but a beautiful personality does." - Unknown

611
Unsplash

It is normal for everyone to have insecurities about themselves. Having insecurities can be frustrating because you feel like you do not "meet up" to the standards in our society. An example of a standard in our society, is while working in the entertainment industry you are always expected to "look perfect". It sucks that in the entertainment industry, and with social media, we feel like we should always Photoshop our pictures to make us look more attractive.

When I was younger, I would get bullied because of my physical appearance, and that made me feel like those comments that were said about me were true. My self-esteem was very low at that time, and I felt like I was ugly. Of course, my mom would convince me that I was beautiful, and that I should not pay attention to what those kids were saying.

It was nice to hear that from my mom because when I felt like everyone was against me, I knew there was someone in my corner, rooting for me. However, I was still insecure about my appearance, while I was in middle school, and high school because I would see girls that had the "perfect" body get a lot of likes, and comments on their photos on social media.

But I have always wondered, "Is there more to life besides the number of likes, and comments you get on your pictures?" I know that it is important to take care of yourself, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to have a nice physical appearance. But there comes a point where you can come off as narcissistic.

Here is something else I have always wondered, "Does the personality of someone matter, just as much as their physical appearance?" The obvious answer to these questions are yes.

It is a shame that in our society, we feel like we should constantly judge the physical appearance of a person, by saying if they are ugly or they are attractive. The reality is, no one looks perfect. No one always has clear skin, straight teeth, or the "perfect" body.

I accept that I may not have the "perfect" physical appearance, I should not compare myself to others. I should love myself for who I am, and let my personality make people interested in getting to know me.

There is a saying, that is true about the personality of a person, vs. their physical appearance, "I don't care how attractive you think you look, if you have an ugly heart, you're ugly." - Unknown

I agree with that saying because if you are you are disrespectful to everyone, I do not want to be around you. I would rather be around people who are respectful, have a good sense of humor, and are not afraid to keep it real with me.