Facing Fears, Finding Freedom

Facing Fears, Finding Freedom

Lies Crumble in the Midst of Truth

28
Facing Fears, Finding Freedom
Unsplash

Ever had a bad day? Me too.

Sometimes I wonder how much worse a bad day becomes when our minds are filled with lies. Especially when we believe these lies.

I know I'm not the only one who has walked away from an awkward situation or a difficult test, feeling like I screwed something up or am terrible at all things social.

"Why did you even try?"

"You definitely failed that..."

"Your anxiety was so obvious just then..."

"No one cares what you have to say."

These are lies that I have dealt with in my past, which still creep in every now and then. They are small phrases, but they are filled with great influence. Maybe you have dealt with similar thoughts, or maybe your struggles are different. Either way, buying into even one deception can alter your perspective and spread to every area of your life.

If you start believing lies about yourself, or lies about others, such as the idea that you can't trust anyone or that everyone is out to hurt you, you will live in isolation. These lies will chain you to pain and bitterness, low self confidence, and fear. How do you call that living?

Well, now that I've painted such a depressing picture, allow me to lighten the mood.

Lies don't stand a chance in the midst of Truth.

Just like the first step is admitting there's a problem, the first step is recognizing a lie.

Next time a discouraging or condescending thought comes into your mind, stop for a second and note the thought. Is it truth, or is it a lie? More than likely, you will be surprised how many untrue thoughts come through each day.

But...

We have a choice.

We can choose to find freedom in the truth.

As stated in John 8:32, the truth sets you free.

Face your fears and challenge your thought patterns.

You are not the odd man out.

You are not damaged goods.

You are not everyone's second choice.

When you're in need of Truth, go to God.

The problem in gaining self-confidence in anything other than Him is that He is the only one who will never leave or disappoint you, and nothing else will satisfy.

If you look for ways to combat lies with your own intuition or logic or measure of success, like in your grades or your looks or your relationship status, you will be just as lost as you were in the lie.

Seek His Truth. Fight the lies. Find your freedom.