What to do when you're bored in Connecticut?
Life Stages

The Best Places In CT To Go Hiking

Because CT can be a pretty boring place...

64
The Best Places In CT To Go Hiking

Most people believe that Connecticut is a boring state with little to do. Most people who live in Connecticut live in the middle of no-where in the woods. You have to drive over a half hour to get to a near city, and even then, there's not much to do. Connecticut has some beautiful parks and hiking spots that people tend to forget about that are perfect for hanging out with friends, going on a date, or having some relaxing alone time with a beautiful view.

1. Wadsworth Falls, Middletown, CT:

c1.staticflickr.com

Wadsworth Falls is the perfect destination for anyone who loves beautiful scenery. The park has beautiful waterfalls, and a calm river you can swim in. This park is the perfect place to take gorgeous pictures or just sit back and relax. Wadsworth falls is also surrounded by woods that are perfect for exploring. Nearby there is also Wadsworth mansion which is always a fun place for photo shoots and exploration. The best part about it is its located in the city of Middletown, and although the falls are very private, there is a city with lots of good food, a movie theatre, and a skating rink that's only a five-minute drive away!

2. Devils Hopyard, East Haddam, CT:

upload.wikimedia.org

Devils Hopyard is a beautiful park that's main attraction is its waterfall. There are swimming holes within the waterfall that are always fun to jump into and swim around, and depending on how rough it is, sometimes you can walk out on the rocks and stand. At the bottom of the waterfall, there is a deep place that you can swim in that leads to a river that flows throughout the park. You can even walk behind the waterfall and sit underneath it, which is truly a fun and amazing experience.

3. Hammonasset Beach, Madison, CT:

upload.wikimedia.org

Not only is Hammonasset a beautiful beach located on long island sound, it is also a nice hiking spot filled with hiking trails. You can hike in woodsy areas along the beach, or go for a run/bike ride on the flat trails. This destination is a perfect one for any occasion. You can have a fun beach day, you could get exercise, go on a walk with friends, fly a kite, ride a bike, walk your dog etc. It's even the perfect place to have a picnic dinner while watching the sunset. Hammonasset is also a home to a beautiful nature center. They rescue animals and do their best to preserve the beach. When you go into the nature center you can see all types of animals like snakes, fish, crabs, turtles, and even birds. They even have a touch tank!

4. Brownstone Quarry, Portland CT:

This park is definitely not like the others and isn't a good hiking spot. This park is located in a quarry that is also a lake. This place is so much fun and has so much to offer. You can swim in the lake, and they have lots of water trampolines, rock walls, huge floatation devices, wakeboarding, water skiing, cliff jumping, zip lining and more. If you are daring and adventurous, then this is the type of place for you, because it is so much fun!

5. Sleeping Giant State Park, Hamden CT:

c1.staticflickr.com

This park is very mountainous and involves a lot of hiking to get to the top. Unfortunately, it is closed as of right now because storms did massive amounts of damage to the trees and wildlife. But, once it reopens next year, it is an amazing hiking spot! Once you get to the top of the mountain, you can see trees below you for miles and it is truly breathtaking. Also, this hike is really good exercise and is so much fun to complete with friends! When you get to the top it's the perfect destination for a picnic!