5 Ways to Explore Kentuckiana this Fall

5 Ways to Explore Kentuckiana this Fall

Fun things to do as the weather cools down.

39
5 Ways to Explore Kentuckiana this Fall
Liberty Fall Festival

As our classes pick up, football season gets into full swing, and the sweltering heat starts to slowly dissipate -- who am I kidding this is Louisville where our weather never makes sense -- you may feel content to spend the weekend on the couch catching up on Narcos and flooding your brain with ESPN's myriad of news and tips to insure you kick Michael's ass in Fantasy this week. However, I am here to implore you to take that step off the couch and venture out your front door, because Louisville has too much to offer you this fall for you to miss out. Here are the top 5 things you should do this fall in and around the Louisville area.

1. Take A Hike

There are numerous places to hike around Northern Kentucky and Southern Indiana. You do not want to miss these parks in fall when the vibrant colors some of my personal favorites include Clifty Falls State Park, Red River Gorge, and Hemlock Cliffs. All are within a couple hours of Louisville, and provide hiking difficulty from easy to expert.

Clifty Falls State Park:

Located near Madison, Indiana, Clifty Falls has 10 trails ranging from easy to rugged and distance from 1/2 mile to 4 miles. Clifty Falls is a canyon with multiple water falls cascading into the creek bed below. The falls change with the weather and season, usually winter and spring showcasing them at their finest, however the fall colors in the park are not to be missed.

Tip: Once you've got you fill of hiking, head down to Madison's Historic district for a bite to eat; it is very picturesque small town America.

Directions: 1501 Green Rd, Madison, IN 47250
1 hour from Louisville: take I65 N to Sellersburg and Old IN 403, then cut over and follow the Ohio River Scenic Byway until you reach the park.

Red River Gorge:

The gorge is composed of a system of canyons inside Daniel Boone National Forrest that features massive cliffs, natural bridges, and waterfalls. It is a popular spot for rock climbers and consistently ranked in the top 10 locations in the world for climbers -- you can bring your own gear or sign up for a guided climb, and start scaling the rocks. Red River Gorge also offers over 60 miles of hiking trails throughout the park. Check out some of the top hikes here.

Directions: Robbie Ridge Rd, Stanton, KY 40380

2 hours and 13 minutes from Louisville: Take I64 East to Exit 98 then follow KY402 East to Exit 40 and Bettyville, KY

Hemlock Cliffs:

This is a small park with a 1.2 mile moderate loop hike in/and around the box canyon. The park is dog friendly, and the waterfall intensity changes with the seasons -- its best to go after a rain. There are different offsets from the trail to explore and it is open to campers year round.

Fun Fact: Archeologists have discovered indications that Native Americans occupied this area as early as 10,000 years ago.

Directions: Hemlock Cliffs, Union Township, IN 47118
Less than an hour from Louisville: Hop on I-64 W to Exit 86 then continue on IN-237 N. Take N Union Chapel Rd to S Hatfield Rd to National Forest Rd.

2. Bet On Some Ponies

Horse racing has been called Kentucky's favorite past time. Even for those who are less than knowledgeable about the sport a trip to Churchill Downs is a must during the fall. Churchill Downs hosts fall meets throughout September, October, and November as well as special events like Downs After Dark. Downs After Dark's theme on September 24th is Bourbon, Bets, & Bow Ties, and along with incredible racing they will also be hosting Louisville's own Linkin' Bridge (currently competing on America's Got Talent)!

RACE DAY INFO:

Gates Open5:00pm
First Race6:00pm
General Admission$10.00
Reserved Seating$25.00

Get tickets day of or online.

3. Cheer On Louisville City FC

Did you know the world's most popular sport has a semi-pro team in Louisville? The team is relatively new to Louisville, founded in 2014, but you would never guess that by the boisterous and passionate fans that show up. You have never experienced Louisville Slugger Field like this. The stadium comes alive for each match with chants and cheers that are fun to experience even if you know literally absolutely nothing about soccer. Tickets start at $15 for GA and can be purchased online or day of at the ticket office. More information at the team's website.

Tip: Don't fret if you miss the regular season -- LouCity will be back for the USL playoffs starting in October.

4. Urban Bourbon Trail

(Must be 21 years or Older)

Instead of trekking all over the Bluegrass State, keep it local and check out the Urban Bourbon Trail. The Trail started with 5 original stops and has now grown to include 35 bars and restaurants that showcase incredible bourbon collections, knowledgable staff, and great atmosphere. All locations offer bourbon flights, over 50 different labels, and specialty bourbon cocktails.

First, stop by Louisville's Visitors Center (4th and Jefferson St) and pick up a free bourbon passport (download an electronic passport on the iPhone orAndroid app), next hit the town and sample some of the best bourbon the world has to offer. You only have to hit 6 of the 35 locations and collect your stamps to become an official Bourbon Country Citizen and receive an Urban Bourbon Trailblazer t-shirt and certificate! -- To redeem stop back in at the Visitor's Center or if you have the app as soon as you complete the trail you will receive an email requesting shipping information so that your certificate and shirt can be shipped to you. Check out the list of locations here along with recommendations and map out your route.

Tip: You don't have to get bourbon at each location to get a stamp on your passport, although that is kind of the point, just make a purchase at six locations and remember to have your server or bartender validate your passport.

5. Check Out A Festival

There are SO many festivals happening all over Louisville and Southern Indiana this fall. It seems like each block hosts their own "fest" and while they all share many of the same key ingredients, they also reflect the individual spirit of the neighborhood.

September

October

November