Exploration Is The Perfect Cure To Boredom

Sometimes, a change of scenery can really boost your mood.

84

We all go through times in which we've felt completely, utterly bored, and we don't know what to do about it. Turns out, though, there's a one-word solution to that problem and it's not as difficult as it may seem — it's exploration! Although the most common perception of exploration is that of delving deep into our surroundings, there's so much more to it than we even think. Below are some pretty easy ways to cure your boredom and give yourself that much-needed break.

1. Places

When we think of exploration, people most probably think of exploring places. It’s the most obvious one, but that doesn’t overshadow the fact that it is extremely therapeutic. The most common misconception about exploring places, though, is the notion that you need to travel across the country — or even across the world — to do it the “right way.” Oftentimes, though, it’s the places right under our nose that we’re unaware of. So head over to your library and explore its nooks and crannies, take a walk in the park, or find a different place to study. Sometimes, a change of scenery can really boost your mood.

2. Subjects

Have some space in your schedule? Want to try and learn something new or take a class about something you’re passionate about? It might be time to register! Taking a class about something you’re interested in can give you a bit of breathing space from your normal curriculum, refresh your mind, and even set you up for success in your more difficult classes.

3. Cultures

Sometimes, our daily schedules can be so overwhelming that we forget about the people around us. Having a conversation with someone you know about their cultural or ethical background can really open your eyes about how similarities are the common thread in all our outward differences.

4. Music

I’ll be the first to admit that I can be very choosy with the type of music I listen to. Recently, though, I’ve been moving a bit outside my usual playlists and honestly, it’s pretty amazing; you can see that there really are an infinite number of ways to represent the same emotion. Exploring music is a super-easy way to open your mind and become aware of how others think.

5. Food

This is the fun one! Visiting one of the different cuisines near your campus can be a great way to not only get away from the dining hall but also give yourself a treat and invite some friends to eat with if you’d like. (Plus you’ll have the opportunity to stock up on lots of aesthetic food photos).

6. Hobbies

I think we all have at least one thing (or an entire bucket list) that we’ve been wanting to work at, and it can be anything from learning an instrument to getting started on a journaling habit. Setting aside a few minutes a day can really get you moving towards that goal, improve your self-esteem, give you a break, and make you feel happier!

7. Yourself (it had to be said)

At the end of it all, by doing any of the above, you are also exploring yourself (sorry not sorry for the cliche): your likes and dislikes, what you think of certain things, and even what can boost your mood when you’re feeling down. Essentially, through exploration of any kind, you are learning about what’s outside and inside of you, at the same time. And that’s beautiful.