The Experience Of A Used Bookstore ​

The Experience Of A Used Bookstore ​

Walking into a used bookstore sparks feelings of joy, solace, and nostalgia.

83
The Experience Of A Used Bookstore ​
Personal Photo

I would choose a used bookstore over the shopping mall bookstores any day. Please do not misunderstand, I have my own long wish-list of books, and I do realize that some may not be found at the local used bookstore and I can admit there are some books that come out that I am not patient enough to wait to find in a bookstore, so I will go online or to the local chain bookstore and purchase it. However, the hunt through a used bookstore is thrilling and like no other. Shopping at a used bookstore is NEVER disappointing, how can it be? With no negative outcomes (aside from a potentially maxed out credit card, and the need for a new bookshelf), the odds are in your favor. Even if you are not able to cross some titles of that wish-list, chances are you will find a book (or ten) that speak to you. For me, the books at a used bookstore seem to jump off the shelf at me. My eye is either caught by the catchy title written on the spine, a wrinkled and clearly worn set of pages, a beautiful cover waiting to be opened another time, or by a book that relates to my career field.

Going to a used bookstore is the ideal date, hang-out, way to spend a day off, and best store to visit on vacation. The door to a used bookstore opens a world of adventure. The atmosphere of a used bookstore alerts all your senses. The overwhelming but exciting view of an endless maze of books, the slight but present smell of books and paper, the sounds of pages being turned and the clerk commenting on the "good finds" (is there really such a thing as a bad find?), the feel of books as you turn through that bin full of endless possibilities, and the taste of sweet taste of victory when you found a bargain. A used bookstore provokes emotion. Perhaps, it is a wave of exhaustion or misbelief comes over you as you leave and realize it is now dark outside, and you have spent hours in that store. Perhaps, a little sense of secret competition runs through your head of finding the best books before anyone else does. Maybe a sense of sadness when you find a book that is in your personal collection and you could never imagine giving up. A sense of confusion on where to even begin seems common amongst shoppers. Along with different feelings; an experience is waiting to be had behind the door of a used bookstore.

A used book tells more than just the story it was made to tell. The book comes with a sense of history. The book has passed through many hands before yours, and now it has ended up in yours. You have a chance to become part of this book's history. My favorite used book is one that has documented history; a handwritten "To" and "From" note on the opening page, notes in the margins, and highlighted or underlined sections. This helps the reader to gain a perspective beyond their own. The same book or story leaves different impressions for everyone, and being able to follow the thoughts of a previous reader may help to expand our own minds, develop a perspective, or perhaps a new world view. The look and feel of a worn book tells me it has been enjoyed by many others before me, and that I am probably making a good selection.

A used book can provide a blast from the past. Looking through the shelves, or bins at a used bookstore may bring you across your favorite childhood books, or that one book that got you hooked and made you a devote book enthusiast (mine was "Ruby Holler"). Perhaps, you find a book that you remember reading and want to pass on the joy to a kiddo in your life such as a niece/nephew, child, or student.

A few of my favorite used bookstores that I have come across in my travels over the years would have to be Wonder books and Video located in Frederick, MD, Hooked on Books in Wildwood, New Jersey, and perhaps my most favorite is The Book Thing in Baltimore, MD. The Book Thing is my favorite because of its mission and story. The store has been through tough times. There was a fire about two years ago that wiped out a good amount of the books, and closed the store for repairs. However, despite any hardship, the owner has never charged for any book. All the books are free, no matter how many, or what kind. The owner's mission is to make the power and experience of reading accessible to all.

Now, some may say that nothing compares to a fresh brand-new book. While I respect the perfection of a new book and giving the author their due by paying full price, I would argue that a used book that may have a few wrinkled pages, a few notes in the margins or even a few tears creates a different sense of joy and a different experience.