My Expectations Can Hurt Me, But I Will Not Lower Them

Yes, Sometimes My Expectations Hurt Me, But No, I Will Not Lower Them

Our expectations aren't supposed to make us apprehensive of what could go wrong, but instead should encourage us to look into what could go right.

71

The saying, "the secret to happiness is having low expectations" sometimes strikes me. So many people are adamant about "not getting their hopes up" or "not having high expectations" in the hope to avoid hurt, discomfort, and disappointment. Thing is, life will always be what we make it out to be & yeah, sometimes displeasure has to cross our paths in order to reach the end goal but wouldn't you rather suffer through the bad times now to get to the good times then?

Now, the difference between expectations and goals isn't hard. When you set a goal, you are intentionally working towards them, whereas expectations are things you already have a prejudgement on, and in a way, you're just waiting for those thoughts to be reinforced.
Obviously, our expectations have to be somewhat realistic according to our goals and actions. I shouldn't expect to get my Ph.D. by skipping classes and beginning papers a night before their due. My friend shouldn't expect to meet the man of her dreams by staying in every weekend night and no, my other friend shouldn't expect to ace her midterm by watching three continuous episodes of Gossip Girl.

Our expectations aren't supposed to make us apprehensive of what could go wrong but instead should encourage us to look into what could go right. If you think about it, when has lowering your expectations ever set a feeling of pure satisfaction? Imagine expecting a test back with a C+ written on the very top of it. Boom. You did it. C+. Now imagine expecting a test back with an A- written on the very top of it. BOOM. YOU DID IT. A-.

And yeah, some may argue that always having high expectations leads to disappointment more often than satisfaction, but those moments — those magical, rejuvenating moments when your high expectations truly do turn out the way you want make all the other let downs a little worth it. Life wouldn't be as good, we wouldn't get as high of a thrill, if every goal and expectations turned out exactly the way we wanted them to.

If you lower your expectations, you are lowering your goals and if you are lowering your goals, you are lowering your expectations. Don't let one drag the other down. You owe it to yourself, expect more.