Expectation vs Reality-Art Majors

Expectation vs Reality-Art Majors

For my roommate and all the other art majors of the world: Keep on creating!

335
Expectation vs Reality-Art Majors
thecampussocialite

Through having a roommate who is a graphic designer, I’ve come to learn a few things about art majors. Although she and I can agree that English majors and art majors are both shamed due to them being seen as paths to poverty, there are still issues that separate the two. Sometimes with art you want it to be one way, but it turns out to be the opposite. Here are some art major expectations that can be ruined whenever reality decides to kick in.

1. Confessing your desire to study art

Expectation:

Since you’re major is essentially something you want to spend the rest of your life doing, it is always nice to receive some encouragement to feel like you’re heading in the right direction.

Reality:

Unfortunately, when people hear the word “art” they picture you on a street corner begging for change. They treat you like you have an allergy to money and that they must fix you before it gets worse.

2. Critiques from teachers

Expectation:

While in college, you’ll always find herself sharing your work with a teacher and classmates. The opinions of your peers matter, but the teacher is the top dog since they’re the ones giving you the grade. Even if the teacher does not like the style of your piece, it is nice to receive some respect and constructive criticism since you took the time to create it.

Reality:

If you don’t get that constructive teacher, then you get the one that has no cares in the world. They’re not the ones being judged so they are in a position to present their useless honesty.

3. Working with Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Expectation:

If you’re not working on a canvas, you can sometimes find yourself sitting in front of a computer trying to create an advertisement or some kind of poster. When technology is cooperating, the vision in your head can come alive on screen.

Reality:

But, figuring out how to work the software is not always an easy task. It takes patience and problem solving.

4. Traveling with artwork

Expectation:

There always comes a day where you have to bring your artwork to class whether it be for a presentation or just to work on an assignment. The work is usually stored in a huge brown folder that might come with a handle. You carry it as you walk to class feeling prepared and ready to show off your work.

Reality:

Rain starts pouring down and you know it will ruin the folder if you step outside. If you were already outside when the rain started, it is too late to turn back.

5. Buying art supplies

Expectation:

Some art classes require paint, blenders and other supplies that can be very expensive. It is a relief when an art teacher gives you the supplies, sparing the money in your wallet.. if there is any left over after paying tuition.

Reality:

But, some art teachers hit you with a realization that comes in the form of a list of supplies they need you to get.

6. Art classes(non-art majors perceptions)

Expectation:

The higher the grade level, the more challenges you have to face as an art major. Students with “money making” majors, underestimate the time and work you put into designing. Some might even think that your classes consist of working in coloring books and all you have to do is stay inside the lines.

Reality:

Never underestimate the influence of creation. It is tiring and can be time consuming. Designing is not effortless, there are a lot of things art majors need to be familiar with such as texture, formatting, color contrasting and the list goes on.

7. Finding Inspiration

Expectation:

A lot of artists say that inspiration can be found anywhere. Some of you art majors can probably get an idea for an assignment just by looking at a leaf.

Reality:

Or so you think. Just like writer’s block, artists can get art block where creativity goes on vacation and leaves you with an empty page.