Expectations Vs. Reality: Your First Week of School

New school-year, who dis?

82
happyplace

When the Fall quarter/semester rolls around, a lot has changed. We all like to think the new school year means new beginnings; and while it's true, it's not always for the better. Sometimes your reality doesn't quite measure up to how you've imagined it to be.

Here are a few expectations we all have on our first week back. But like that glow-up you've been waiting for since puberty, don't hold your breath.

1. Seeing Someone You Haven't Seen All Summer

Expectation: You're expecting to "run into" your Chem Crush from last semester. "Oh my god hi! I totally didn't see you there! How have you been??" is what you'd say, like he didn't notice you follow him to his third class of the day.

Reality: You actually run into the boy/girl from your Business Law class last year, who has not stop DM-ing you on Twitter since your regrettable late-night encounter.

2. Syllabus Week

Expectation: Dipping out right after the Professor reads off the syllabus.

Reality: SUPRISE HAHA the Professor switches the slide to Ch. 1 Lecture.

3. Your First Night Out Part 1: On the Way to the Bars/Frat Party Like

Expectation: Mobbin in your outfit feeling fresh af with your squad.

Reality: Mobbin in your outfit feeling gross af. Your "going out" clothes just don't fit you like they used to anymore. Admit it, the past summer has made you a little pudgy.

4. Your First Night Out Part 2: Getting to the Bars / Frat Party Like

Expectation: *Que the Katy Perry TGIF Music Video*

Reality: Your roommate's bestfriend's brother's neighbor totally texted you the wrong address to the party and now you're lost.

5. Applying to New Internships / Jobs

Expectation: *Kills it at the interview, gets hired on the spot, with pay*

Reality: "Why should we hire you?" "Because...pls"

6. Cooking in Your New Apartment

Expectation: *Makes Braised Pork Loin with a Balsamic Reduction for dinner*

Reality: *Heats up butter with mouth*

7. Your Bank Account

Expectation: "I should still have $400 saved up from my summer job."

Reality: *Actually has $3.04*

8. Your BFFs

Nothing has changed. Though a few months have passed, it's like you were never apart. You pick up where you left off, and live out your own squad goals.

Expectation: Hey best friend, I love you, you're awesome.

Reality: Hey best friend, I still love you, and you're even more awesome.

We can't always count on our expectations to pan out the way we want. But you can count on your friends when you need them. So strut your stuff, keep it real, and hug your true homies.