Exclusive Interview with Rising R&B Artist: RYAN

R&B will never be the same with this fresh new face on the rise

140

BM: How did you get into creating music?

Ryan: The first concert I ever went to was when I was seven years old and the way it happened was that my parents surprised me by initially telling me we were going to this baseball camp but they actually took me to Long Island to go to an Usher concert. After that Usher concert it changed my life, this was when Usher was in his prime and it just inspired me. I always loved music as a kid, I would dance to Michael Jackson, and Usher and sing all of the songs in the car but then something in high school happened to me on a personal level which made me start writing, doing freestyles and stuff like that. I eventually ended up taking music more seriously and actually wanted to pursue it. Once I started singing, it just took off from there.

BM: How was your experience working in the studio with Swizz Beatz?

Ryan: I was actually in the studio during the making of Money Making Mitch (which is Diddy's mixtape), off of the strength of my uncle and Armani Ortiz (who is Puff's videographer). I was just in there throwing ideas, vibing, learning. But my first time meeting Swizz was amazing, the first thing he told me was, "This is history," he was basically telling me that we're changing people's lives through the art of music and that people will never forget a song that they hear if it's great. Ever since that day, Swizz has been treating me like a nephew, shows me so much love, invites me over and stuff like that so it's pretty cool to have such an amazing figure in my life.

BM: What other industry moguls have you had the pleasure of networking/working with?

Ryan: Puff, he is a genius of his own and I've experienced being with him on a personal level when it comes to music, he is definitely a different breed. Teddy Riley, he's an OG producer, singer, songwriter, and he's just dope all around. Swizz Beatz as I mentioned before, he's amazing. The Mechanics, they're a group of producers from Miami and last but not least, Bellis, who's signed to Coke Boyz, he's one of the dopiest souls I've ever met, he made "All Day" & "Highlights" for Kanye.

BM: Are you currently signed to a record label?

Ryan: Well right now I'm actually being managed, I have a production deal which means they fund you and back you up so you can make your music before you actually get a record deal. Right now I'm with James Cruz and Danny Rojas from Universal Music Group and Gaby who is French Montana's manager. So I just have management and production; we're in the works of a few labels, but I don't want to mention anything because I don't want to jinx it.

BM: Why are most of your songs about girls and love?

Ryan: For me, I have a very emotional ear. My playlist isn't filled with Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, or anybody from the new school (no shade), besides from like, Chris Brown or Drake. My playlist consists a lot of Jon B., Usher, Mary J. Blige, SWV and as far as why it's like that, I just love girls. I don't know, it's something about a female's energy that is something out of this world and there's nothing better than a female giving you that love and affection.

BM: Who is your target audience?

Ryan: The girls; the beautiful ladies of America and the world.

BM: What caused your recent break-up?

Ryan: Haha. That's a crazy question. What really caused the break-up was timing, but the second thing was that I'm big on being honest. Honesty is key to everything in life and any type of relationship whether it's you and a friend, you and a family member, girlfriend, etc. I just felt like she wasn't the one, and it definitely wasn't the right time. I knew it would be f*cked up if I dragged her along knowing that she wasn't the one.

BM: Do you think your break-up will impact your future projects?

Ryan: It already has, a lot of my current music has to do with my break-up. But then again, not so much the break-up; it's more about what it could've been and what it should've been. Just a lot of my personal thoughts are coming out in my music, negative and positive.

BM: Do you see yourself getting into another relationship sometime soon?

Ryan: At this point right now, I'm definitely single and I'm really big on friendship first. Without friendship you have nothing, and at this point, I feel like I would be cheating somebody out if I got with them now. I don't feel like I can do a serious relationship unless we're both on the same path, because if we're not striving for the same thing it gives me other obligations that I can't live up to. BUT, in the long run, after everything is said and done I would definitely consider a relationship, I'm big on companionship, and I honestly love, love.

BM: Do you think music today impacts people like how it used to?

Ryan: Definitely depends on the artist and the topic. A lot of music today is impacting people in the wrong way so there's definitely a difference with the music from 10-15 years ago compared to today.

BM: What is the music industry lacking that you think your brand and music can fulfill?

Ryan: The genuine feel is something that will definitely set me apart. I feel like when you listen to my music it would almost be nostalgic for the older listeners because it definitely has an old school, R&B feel without the OVO sound. I feel like my music is going to bring something new to the industry that has been lacking for quite some time now.

BM: What is something you want to tell your fans and the people who are reading this interview?

Ryan: I want them to know that I'm definitely doing this for myself, but more importantly I'm doing it for them. I honestly want to change people for the better and make them feel good about life and music. When they hear my music I want them to think of the people they love and true bliss. I want people to know that I'm here to stay and I'm not going to be one of those guys that puts out a record and after that it's over.

Instagram: @TheRyanWay