8 Things You Need To Know Before Your Next Pageant

Your pageant experience serves to help others and better yourself. Have fun with it!

408
Instagram

Before you compete for your next pageant, make sure to check off all these points from your list and you should be ready to go!

1. You Need To Walk The Walk

Hopefully before your pageant, there is someone working with you and the rest of the girls on how to properly walk in heels. Most competitions have a designated person that will help each girl perfect their walk. I definitely recommend to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE before the event. It's not enough to just walk around like you casually would in any other shoe. Leading up to the day of the pageant, you want to be super confident in every step you take. It seems easy but it takes work. You need to make sure your shoulders are back, your hands are somewhat loose as you walk and are not stiff, your head is held confident and high, and your feet go one in front of the other as you loosen your hips. Posture is everything. If you don't look confident on the stage, that vibe will reflect in your scores.

2. You Need To Talk The Talk

It's not enough to simply be beautiful on the outside to win the pageant. While it is a beauty pageant, how you use your mind plays such an important role on your chances of winning. You will most likely have a private interview with the judges (depending on the competition) and they will get the chance to get to know you before the event begins. From my experience, the judges get a resume from you and based on that resume, they ask you questions. ALWAYS GIVE THEM EYE CONTACT. When you respond to your question whether it's in private or on stage, always look directly at the judge who asked it. Don't let your eyes wander off because that can show insecurity. Take your time with the question. If needed, ask the judges to repeat it so you can collect your thoughts.

It's important to prep yourself on current events. Talking about yourself has to be most people's favorite thing to do and it's the easiest since who knows your life and your goals better than you do? The judges will most likely ask you on stage questions about what's going on in the world. Before your pageant, get informed on the hot topics of the world in politics and controversial topics because your answer can really make or break you. They want to see how you handle topics you may or may not be confronted with on a regular basis.

3. Bring Nude Undergarments

If only it was as easy as snapping your fingers to switch into your next pageant outfit. I HIGHLY suggest you bring nude undergarments on pageant days. While you won't be in front of the public doing your outfit changes, you will be in front of other people. Some people don't care if you change in front of them, which is great but others, especially for first time contestants; they can feel uncomfortable. Wearing nude underwear and bras can save you from getting completely nude and will also (usually) not show in your next outfit because it is skin color.

4. Be In Close Contact With The Directors

The directors of the pageant you are competing in should have all the answers you're looking for. If you have any doubts or need some guidance, They should be able to help you out. Since they should have gone through their fair share of pageants, try to practice your speaking skills with them. If you need to know any other information, they are the people you want to be close with. Just know that they are not the judges and should be treating you and every other contestant the same way. They have no influence on whether or not you will win just so it's fair.

5. Purchase The Chinese Laundry Heels

https://metro.co.uk/2012/12/20/gallery-miss-universe-2012-final-3324711/miss-usa-wins-miss-universe-2012-ay_100144706-jpg/

This is not an ad (although I wish it was because these heels and the company are amazing) but these specific heels are the ultimate pageant shoe. They're called the "Teaser Platform Sandal" and are available on Chinese Laundry's website. These shoes walk on their own. They are comfortable and keep your foot in place. You will be up all day walking around and if you're going to do it in heels, these are the ones you want to bring. They also make your legs look stunningly long. It's been used by a lot of ladies in the Miss USA and Miss America pageants. I got them for my last pageant and i'm never going back to another type of heel.

6. Have A Great Attitude and Be Genuine With Other Contestants

What I love about competing for the Miss America Organization is that they're built on pure sisterhood. I have yet to experience some negativity between other girls. This also goes for other pageants as well. The reality is that one of you is going to be the winner and the others aren't going to take home the crown. The thing is that no matter what, you should have a great attitude while in rehearsals and back stage. If you have a "don't talk to me, we're enemies and not friends" fake attitude, you're going to be miserable the whole time. Pageants are fun. Every single girl wants to win but just because you're competing doesn't mean you should throw away any manners or kindness. You can meet best friends at these events since you most likely will be spending a lot of time with them. Whoever the winner is, hug them and congratulate them. Be genuine with the other contestants because being petty about an undesirable outcome will lead you no where but down.

7. Watch Pageant Videos On Youtube

Something that really helps me whether it's my walk or my talk is the videos of previous pageant queens on YouTube. You can look up how the winners walked on the stage and how they answered questions. It gives you an idea of how your pageant can be ran and how you can improve yourself. Of course, you don't want to copy anybody. The videos are for reference. Nail a walk down the stage similar to Miss America's but give it your own personal touch. Take the answer by the winning Miss Universe but put your own twist to it. Referencing past queens is a huge help in making you better!

8. Give It Your All But Have Fun

www.pinterest.com

Like I said before, every body want to win the crown but if you don't THAT'S OKAY. You gained valuable experience that you can use for your next pageant because there will always be a next one. If you win the crown, then congratulations, be proud of the work you put in and don't forget to make a difference and use your new opportunity to help others and the cause you want to work with! Have fun with the pampering of hair and make up. Have fun meeting new people and sharing experiences. Have fun while either learning something new or perfecting what you already know. Your pageant experience serves to help others and better yourself. Have fun with it!