Everything I Want To Tell The Girl Who Replaced Me

First and most importantly, I don't hate you.

227
New York Times

Hello there, you know who I am. I honestly don't hate you at all, and I feel like that's the most important thing to start with.

Now, I'm glad we got that out in the open. I have this special kind of appreciation for you. You are not better than me, nor are you worse by any means- you are my equal. As my equal, I will tell you this; I respect you, and although I don't know you, I can tell I'd like you. They tell me you're very much like me. I don't doubt that.

I see your sweet smile and understanding eyes and although we might not really look alike on the outside, I like to think that we are similar on the inside. So yeah, I don't hate you. How could I hate someone so similar to me and yet so different?

Here's the thing though. I know that I'm supposed to not like you from the start because of some unwritten rule that says so. I was never really good at following rules and although I don't have any way of getting to know you, now or ever, it's important that you know that I appreciate you and respect you from afar.

There are a few things I want to tell you. They are actually things I want to ask of you. They're really simple and they go as follows...

Be strong. I know that it's not a competition but you better, well, be stronger than me. Be strong for the both of you. Sometimes he's going to be the one that needs someone to hold him together. Sometimes he's going to need to lean on someone, a shoulder to cry on, hands to hold his face and wipe his tears, kisses that will make the scars not ache at night. So please don't assume that he is always the strong one and not weak- we all are from time to time, so don't forget that.

Be calm. I'm a pretty calm person, so you need to be calmer. Be the quiet before and after the storm. Be the one who knows the location of the exit signs, the one who knows where the fire extinguishers are. Know how to be calm when he is a raging fire and it is your turn to stay still. I'm not telling you to tame your fire- go wild and set everything up in flames when you need to, but remember that sometimes he will calm you down and other times you will need to do the same for him. Lets the tornado pass. Don't go crazy, stay calm.

Be brave. I was brave, or at least I thought I was being brave. Be brave in who you are and who he is. It's scary, I know, but trust me that once you bravely accept and acknowledge everything that you are, everything that he is, and everything that you two are together you will feel unstoppable. And isn't that what we are all trying to reach? Be brave and feel it and never let IT go.

Let go, though. Let go completely. Let go and fall deep in the water of the beautiful mysterious ocean that is love. I'm being completely serious. Dive in so deep that you get a little scared at the very bottom thinking you won't be able to hold your breath until you reach the top. I promise you that you will and he will be there. It's worth it, so dive in and don't be afraid of love, of his love. Swim and splash and do flips and tricks. Open your eyes under water although it might sting a little. But do it, let go. Be a little kid at play and swim in the waters of his love.

Let him be. I know this might sound a little "know it all" but really, be better at this than I was, please. Just let the poor guy be. He needs his space, as we know we need ours. Let him have some time, some air, some thoughts, some space to himself. Don't suffocate him. Don't pressure him. It's like dealing with a jojo, you let it go and it comes right back up if you move your hand just right. So let him be and he will come back, hell, he might not even go anywhere, but he will be himself again.

Love him beyond your control. Just don't get addicted like I did. It's not fun, but the loving him without control part was fun. It's exhilarating and exciting and daring and everything all at once. It's frightening, too, but I know you want to do it. Just like those of us who love roller coaster rides, or haunted houses, or scary movies, or adrenaline rushes or something weird like that. They're kind of frightening but worth it and we all have a certain guilty pleasure. Make your loving him beyond control one of your guilty pleasures.

He was in my life for some time and although I don't want to go back to that, or to him for that matter, I do not regret it and don't want you to fear that maybe one day you will. I never thought like that. I was always aware that what was going on was what was supposed to be happening and it was great.

I enjoyed my time with him. I grew, I changed, I lived and I loved and now it is your turn. Make it last and make it the best time of your life. Enjoy it all, the good and the bad and everything in between. You never know when you might be, if you ever move on like I did, writing this letter to some other girl. Think of you and mostly only of you, yeah I'm telling you to be a little selfish. Think of him too though. Let him be someone who occupies your mind daily and someone you make plans with. Live the best life possible with him. Live.

You better not break his heart or damage him in any way, shape or form. If you do I will find you, and I won't respect or appreciate you so much. There are many fish in the sea, but only one like him so treat him well. With all that being said there is only one thing left.

Good luck, sweet girl.