Everything Old is New Again

Everything Old is New Again

A list of 10 things that are popular again

22
Everything Old is New Again
Dustin Lee/unsplash

I can almost guarantee all of us who were born in the 1990's live in our nostalgia. Whenever we see an old favorite come back into the spotlight, we rejoice in their presence. Whenever a television show we loved has a new revival, our life revolves around catching up with beloved characters. Just like past generations, we are at the age when children do not know about the things we used to love, which makes us repeat the cliche, "When I was your age..." Here is a list of all the things that are new again for a new generation to love, as well as for old generations to reminisce.

1. Pokemon Go

Many can agree that Pokemon took over our lives with the television show, the trading cards, and video games. Now with Pokemon Go, the obsession continues as many search for Pokemon around our surroundings, thanks to the power of technology.

2. Fuller House (2016-)/ Full House (1987-1995)

Ever since I was a child, Full House has been my favorite show. Even though I did not like the sappy music whenever the characters had "heart to hearts", I always thought the show was entertaining. I also have wished for more episodes as a child, and it took up until I was in college for that dream to come true.

3. Disney Remakes (Beauty and the Beast, Pet's Dragon, The Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland ect.)

For the most part, many of us grew up watching classic Disney movies on our now vintage VHS tapes. Now, Disney has ran out of new ideas, or at least different stories to adapt from, for new movies. Disney has been taking movies we loved and reinventing them for new generations.

4. NBC/ CBS Live Musicals (The Sound of Music, Peter Pan, The Wiz, Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Hairspray)

I grew up being obsessed with musicals from The Sound of Music, Oklahoma!, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singing in the Rain, Grease, and many more. Now with the new trend of having live performances on TV, which was first done in 1957 for Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, are gaining many viewers for the special events.

5. Cats! on Broadway

Personally, I never liked the musical Cats! The idea of people dressing like overly-sexed animals never was my "go-to" for a musical. Yet, after years of being off Broadway, the show is back on Broadway for lovers of the original production.

6. Boy Meets World (1993-2000)/ Girl Meets World (2013-)

Growing up with Boy Meets World, I was excited that a new show was being brought back. I was excited Corey and Topanga Matthews, Shawn Hunter, Mr. Feeney, and Eric Matthews, as well as a new generation of children who are now the main focus. Sadly, the new show does not hold up in my eyes since it turned into an overly dramatic teen soap opera on the Disney Channel that is not as relatable or funny as its predecessor. The show has been doing well in ratings on the Disney Channel, so the new show has succeeded.

7. Star Wars:The Force Awakens (2015) / Star Wars Original Trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983)

Even though Star Wars has stayed relevant, thank you to the "fantastic" prequels, The Force Awakens brought back what made the original trilogy memorable. The new movie brought in a new audience, as well as brought back all our nostalgia from growing up with the original movies.

8. Pop Stars including, JoJo, Hilary Duff, Britney Spears, ect.

Growing up with the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, I have discovered many pop stars. Now with singers like Hilary Duff and JoJo being in the spotlight again, many in my age group are excited for her new music after all of these years.

9.Jimmy Fallon reunions

Just like most of the population, host of the tonight show Jimmy Fallon has pleased those who are still stuck in the 1990's. With skits reminiscing Full House, Saved by the Bell, and Kenan &Kel (Good Burger), many were excited that their is still love for our favorite old shows.

And lastly....

10. Gilmore Girls:The Year in the Life (2016)/ Gilmore Girls (2000-2007)

Originally a favorite from many members of my family, I did not officially start watching Gilmore Girls until my sophomore year of college. I ended up loving the show due to all the pop culture references and witty humor that related to my life. Now with the revival being released on Netflix Thanksgiving weekend, I can not wait to see how the characters evolved since the shows ending 9 years ago.