Everything's Getting Censored

Everything's Getting Censored

Is censorship going to far?

32
Hidester

In every form of entertainment — movies, shows, musicals, opera, etc. — there are forms of insensitive issues. When the opera "The Death of Klinghoffer" recently opened, many people were angered by the background and origin of the opera. If the companies gave in to the pressure then everything will start to get censored. Anything and everything will get made into a movie, musical, song, opera, etc.

There is nothing too sensitive for entertainment purposes. Movies, video games, music and musicals often try and push the boundaries of sensitivity. However, one music recording company replaces curse words and other such deemed inappropriate by the company. The company is known as Kidz Bop, and it has ruined "Call Me Maybe," "Thrift Shop," "Payphone," and "The Lazy Song." It has ruined countless other songs that 7-year-olds listen to, as well. Also, movies playing on a TV channel skip over parts deemed too gory or unfitting for younger viewers. For example, in one horror movie series, The Leprechaun, one of the male victims of the vile creature gets killed by a giant fan which the Leprechaun enchants to look like his female crush. All you see is the shadow of his face getting closer to the fan then it moves on to the next scene. The fact is that too many things are getting censored due to people’s different levels of sensitivity.

People’s sensitivity can’t win over the fullness of shows, video games, music, or any other form of entertainment. If it does then everything will start to get censored. The first lesbian kiss in "Doctor Who" will be possibly skipped over in the season DVD. Also, there is a censored version of the adult show, "Robot Chicken." If the pressure on the producers and any other people who work for entertainment continues then everything would be practical only for little 5-year-olds and younger.

Imagine everything good getting taken out of "Game of Thrones," "Doctor Who," "Scorpion," "Family Guy," and other television shows? It would be absolutely horrible. Thank goodness there is still something for everyone to enjoy! Miss Dalton, my English teacher, informed us, “You can make a musical about anything.” She is proven right time and time again. There are musicals about orphans, killer plants, prisons, TV shows, Disney movies, the tragedy the Romanov family, and more. Now there is an opera about terrorists highjacking a cruise ship and killing a man in a wheelchair. Its based on a true story and the victim’s family is outraged. Apparently it is a mockery of the man’s death and makes it seem like an everyday thing.

All in all, people are getting too upset and sensitivity over entertainment lately. Entertainment really should not be pressured to change over what certain people cannot handle.